Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StaySeated

IBT does not represent ME
If anyone has left a regional, furloughed or not, and went to EJA I would like to hear what you think about it so far. Especially if you have been there a year or so and the woody has worn off. I am curious about the workload comparison, pay, and schedule quality of life. I have read all about the food, so please no more pastrami on rye posts. Thanks for the info.

Left ASA about 16 months ago,
It takes a little getting used to, but the type of flying here is totally different than flying for a Commuter-Regional.
A lot of pilots I have met in Airport Terminals are very misinformed about the type of flying we do.
I feel, they are missing out on getting valuable experience.
At a fractional the flight crew is responsible for much more than just getting from point A to B.
I tell new pilots that their job starts after the engines are shut down and the door opens.
Don't take me wrong, the pilots that I flew with at ASA and I'm sure at other regionals, are very underpaid and do as good as a job as their "major" counterparts.

The shine still glows at EJA after 5+ years. My previous employer was Eagle. I put 3 years in that place, and I won't preach too the choir about that place. EJA is not all shine it is a job.
Do I like it ? Yes.
Do I plan on staying ? Yes.
Is the job perfect? No.
The simple fact is I like too go to work when they call with my brief. I am also in a good mood when I go home after a trip. I call this my "Happy Factor" rating. If you have more specific questions on comparing the two life styles. I will be try too present facts so you can make a informed decision.
Good Luck.

What is so great about it??? 7on/7off?? The coin is not that much better. Plus no flight benefits...

SFR,

The coin is twice as much to start, then goes up significantly higher than regional captain wages...flight benefits are no good if you can't afford to go anywhere...

flight benefits

Flight benefits are actually great, you can rack up a bunch of miles being airlined from your gateway and back 3 times a month. You also get a lot of hotel points which can even be used toward airline miles or free hotel stays. It all comes out to free vacations (positive space on top of it all.) Standby flight benefits have always left a lot to be desired in my book. And then you actually have a full 7 days off to take a vacation.

The quetion you ask are specific. I will answer them the best
I can.
*First , I do like the 7/7 better than 4/3 or 2/2 . I held a line my first 2 years at Eagle. I was on reserve as a junior Cpt the last year.
*Second , I made more money than I did at Eagle. Day one.
*Third, I don't have travel benies. I was willing too give those up. That was my personal choice. They are nice.

The reason I have started to post on this board is to give out info . The choice will have to be yours if EJA,ASA,or American are your next stops.
Hope this helps.

JP11

I was based LAX than DFW. I was old "ww" when they were 4.

I know you didn't ask ,but here are some things on the interview that I have been hearing, and no ,I do not interview. I am just a line pilot.
The most important thing is attitude. The company is looking for people who's flying and safety are the given. The unknown is your ability to solve day to day problems as they arrise. These problems can be as simple as your willingness to clean the plane after a leg ,or to informing the client we cannot launch out of ASE (Aspen) because it is below company mins.
How will the company know this with the interview? They will want to hear you say you will find a solution to the problem. The answer on the simple problem. Do it yourself.
The more complex problem .The company will be more directly in the loop to creating options for the client. That being the key phrase "options for the client". You as on site rep can make suggestion as to the most likely successful option.
The ASE (Aspen) is complicated so my guess is they would not ask that example.
There are some basic Jepp question. I don't know what ,but with your Eagle experience it should not be a problem. Briefing a approach will bring out most questions.
Good Luck.

First of all, you can't compare Eagle to EJA. Eagle has slow upgrades and low pay. I left Eagle for ASA and it is sad to say that as a secong year captain I make the same as the guys that I use to fly with in ORD. It took them 8 years to break the 40-50K mark. At ASA it took 6 months.

As far as ASA vs. EJA, I can say that I make the same as my friends there that are 2nd year captains. I am home about 20-21 nights per month.

As far as flight benefits, I have never (knock on wood) not been able to get to a vacations spot using my Delta benefits. I have gotten bumped, but I have always gotten there. That was the same for me at Eagle using the AMR passes too!

Say and do what you wish.... You only live once. All I am saying is that I think life at ASA is better then the fracs. Most of the frac pilots are still in the early 90s mentallity thinking that the typical Brasilia captain paid for training and gets paid $30 per hour. Sorry folks, that is not how it is.

ASA or a fractional ?

I am currently unemployed and I have a job offer from EJA which is great. Got the call from ASA (I was in there hiring pool) a week ago which is great as well.

I am trying to figure out what the best deal is money and schedule wise. Don't know much about the fractionals but my friends are telling me that EJA is a great place to be. I think that ASA looks like a better option over a longer period of time but I might be wrong.

Feel free to give some input!

/Unemployed since Aug -01

Latest resources

Back