• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Realistic goal???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More than likely no. Many of the majors won't start interviewing again for 2-3 years, and when they do there will be plenty of people from defunct airlines, commuters, and the military. BUT, if you are a woman or minority, then I would say you have a better chance. We all know that minority groups get interviews with much less experience. If you are a white male you'll need at least 5000 hours and a type rating to get an interview (based on pre 9-11). By then it may be more. The good news is there are many quality regional airlines out there to build your experience. While at a quality regional you will enjoy flying state of the art equipment, great pay(not majors pay but more than most people make), and the opportunity to fly with some of the best pilots in the world. Not a bad place to be while you wait for your chance at the bigs. Eight years? I don't know, maybe longer but enjoy it.

You'll get there...

RM7599,

If you want it bad enough...you'll get there.

If this board was around in the late '80s and the same question was posted, I'm sure there would have been a lot of people to say, 'no way in 8 yrs.' No one could have predicted the amazing hiring cycle of the '90s.

I feel there is a lot of opportunity for someone starting out right now. Keep your sh1t together and stay focused on your goals.

Last edited:
350DRIVER said:
"so all I will have to do is flight train-"--- "jeeez sounds so easy huh??- - Well if you go to Gulfstream and "BUY" a right seat gig then it sounds possible- hell you get 200+ hours in a 1900 ... or other part 135 First Officer jobs..hey people on this board "BUY" jobs so why not you"??!!! lol

350Driver,

Based on the a/c you've flown in your 1100 hours, we can tell that you really came up the hard way through the school of hard knocks. LOL

350DRIVER said:
"so all I will have to do is flight train-"--- "jeeez sounds so easy huh??- - Well if you go to Gulfstream and "BUY" a right seat gig then it sounds possible- hell you get 200+ hours in a 1900 ... or other part 135 First Officer jobs..hey people on this board "BUY" jobs so why not you"??!!! lol

I think what he meant was that of the two major career hurdles, he's already gotten one out of the way. Now he can concentrate on flying rather than history and calculus. He's asking the reality of an 8-year goal. That doesn't sound like someone who thinks he's going to be in a GV while the ink's still wet on his COMM. In the future, try not to be such an elitist prick.

RM7599 said:
I will begin my flight training around the first of June and my goal is to make it to the majors someday. I would like to be flying for a major in 8 years. Does this sound like a realistic goal. I already have a 4 year degree so all I will have to do is flight train. Any input would be great.

I'm sure you can tell by the wide variety of responses, that THERE IS NO ANSWER to your question. Who knows if someone starting from scratch can be at a major in 8 years. There are too many variables. I thought I'd be in prime contention for a major job in a year or so, and now look what has happened.

Pretty much all you can do is go for it if you love it. You may never get to the majors, but you can still have a great time doing it.

Remember though, no matter how bad things look, NEVER SELL YOUR SKILLS FOR LESS THAN THEY ARE WORTH. (ie- never buy a job!!)

RM-
On a more serious note minus the sarcasm, yes it is possible and with a determined mindset you should have no problems. The key word is "persistance" which you will need alot of, add in the hard work by you and you should be at a major in that time frame IF they will be "hiring" which always seems to be hit & miss

good luck to you

I wish you "wind" at you six and dreams come true at ur twelve

Hey, thanks for all the great advice! Yes, I realize that it will take a lot of hard work and determination, and I'm ready for that. I also know that this industry is very cyclical and there are many variable that I will be faced with along the way! However, I will get there, even if it takes me 16 years!!! Thanks again and safe flying!!!

Assuming you're young enough, go into the military and fly. It's a known fact that these people are usually the first hired by the majors.Why? They have a support network in place, a lot of former military are in a position of power and influence at these companys and they take care of their own.

Latest resources

Back