• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York
> > > > and Washington.
> > > >
> > > > The findings are as follows......
> > > >
> > > > 1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross
> > > > matching employee contributions
> > > > of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY
> > > > Fire Dept.
> > > > The company also offered ER response team
> > > > services and
> > > > office space to displaced government
> > > > employees.
> > > >
> > > > 2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross
> > > > matching employee contributions
> > > > of the same number and a fleet of vans,
> > > > suv's, and trucks.
> > > >
> > > > 3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of
> > > > the children and victims of the
> > > > Sept. 11 attack.
> > > >
> > > > 4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and
> > > > 30 new motorcycles to the
> > > > New York Police Dept.
> > > >
> > > > 5. Volkswagen- Employees and management
> > > > created a Sept 11 Foundation,
> > > > funded initial with $2 million, for the
> > > > assistance of the children and victims
> > > > of the WTC.
> > > >
> > > > 6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red
> > > > Cross.
> > > >
> > > > 7. Audi- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 8. BMW- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 9. Daewoo- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 10. Fiat- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 11. Honda- Nothing, despite boasting of second
> > > > best sales month ever in
> > > > August 2001.
> > > >
> > > > 12. Isuzu- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 14. Nissan- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with
> > > > condolences via the Porsche website.
> > > >
> > > > 16. Subaru- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 17. Suzuki- Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > 18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in
> > > > July and August 2001.
> > > > Condolences posted on the website
> > > >
> > > > Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or
> > > > lease a new vehicle, keep
> > > > this information in mind. You might want to give
> > > > more consideration to a
> > > > car manufactured by an American-owned and / or
> > > > American based company.
> > > >
> > > > Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car
> > > > companies contributed
> > > > nothing at all to the citizens of the United
> > > > States. It's OK for these companies
> > > > to take money out of this country, but it is
> > > > apparently not acceptable to return
> > > > some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not
> > > > forget things like this.
> > > >
> > > > Say thank you in a way that gets their attention.
> > > > Pass it on.

OK, VW and Audi are the same company (VAG, Volkswagen Audi Group). Fiat don't sell cars in this country. Daimler Chrysler is a German company (Daimler Benz bought Chrysler, it was not a merger, it was a buy out).
If your post is trying to say something about none US companies it's point is lost, all you have to do is add the money from Volkswagen to the money from Daimler Chrysler and the total is $12million according to your numbers, which far out ways your figures for the rest of the domestic companies.
What is the point of your post?

If I were smarter I'd leave this alone, but I just can't.

First off how much did GM or Audi or anyone donate to Kobe earthquake victims in Japan in 1995? 5000 people died.

What companies donated to the refugees in Yugoslavia? There's a hell of a lot more than 5000 of them and they were left with utterly nothing.

The biggest question I have is if the total charitable contributions of those companies increased or did they just redirect thier contributions away from other charities to focus on the 9/11 charites and get the media attention.

Scott

Great posts CMR and SStearns. I just love it when someone starts getting puffed up with their patriotism and someone else lets the air out of their tires with a little reality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be a US citizen (America extends a little farther than the borders of the US, like from Tierra del Fuego to Ellesmere Island) and I'm as patriotic as the next guy. I've traveled and worked outside of the US, and I would again, but I'll always be loyal to the US. It's just that whenever I see someone waving a flag, I wonder what they're using it to hide.

Regards

Last edited:
BMW is owned by Ford if I'm not mistaken, along with Jauguar and Land Rover to name a few others.

I don't really get the point of this post. The American companies contributed because they're American. The others did not because they're not. Big Deal.

Ditto ssterans comments.

Geez, calm down with the flaming already....

First off, I know several people, including myself, on the board are looking for another car and this information may be of some interest to them. If not, so be it.

As far as going down your road on this matter, the United States, as we always do, donated MILLIONS to the governments of Yugoslavia as well as Japan after their disasters.

Had our big three automakers had an equal footing trade balance and had their "BEST SALES EVER" over seas, most likely they'd donate too. Let's not weave your belief of a cars quality into the discussion of trade imbalance. Those are different issues.

p.s. Fiats were sold in the U.S up until 1989 and are scheduled to be brought back.

I hate to ring in on a lose-lose conversation, but I'm sick to death of the blind flag waving and transparent patriotism that has swept the country. I see bumperstickers and posters proclaiming "united we stand," as though we've ever been united on a single topic or subject. We can't even get along as a small community in one industry, on a single board in a single thread, let alone providing an answer to the impassioned pleas of Reginald Denny et al, "Can't we all just get along?"

I see flags poking from cars waved by those who desperately fight to keep from paying taxes, who strike out at government, who lambast the military and run from police. People who probably couldn't tell you how many stars are on that flag, without counting them. People who see civic duties as the responsibliity of the next guy, who don't stop to help accident victims, who hide at the sound of a gunshot in the neighborhood instead of running to help. Who probably aren't registered to vote, and in all liklihood, didn't vote. But gosh darn, if it ain't socially acceptable to wave a flag.

I hear people mechanically chant in their best superbowl voice, "Gawd Bluss Amurika, man!" at every turn. I ask, what are you doing to help God bless American, man? Do you serve on your local ambulance or fire department? Do you write letters to soldiers serving the country? Have you served your country? Do you know where your children are, and are you loving them and raising them to make a better country for tomorrow? Have you learned a second or third language in our homogonized socieity and melting pot? Do you vote and speak for issues that need to be addressed?

I don't care what car companies donated to NYPD. I support their efforts and salute their charity. However, it won't help me decide what product to buy. I'll buy the product that's best suited for the job, and the best deal for the very limited dollar. To be honest, I'm sickened by the bickering and fighting over who gets what as the fallout from NYC continues to mount. Crying over how many millions each victim should be worth is pathetic, and hardly speaks for a united USA. It speaks for greed, and it is nothing less than grossly sickening. Tragedies happen every day, but the families of the victims of those tragedies don't see millions and billions poured into relief funds, because they aren't draped with a gilded flag.

One day, you will die. And so will I. And nobody will remember us in a few years. The time to mourn the dead is short, and the time to remember the living is now. The streets are filled with homeless, the halls of homes filled with the unemployed. It's time to reach out to those we can help, each one of us, to make a change with those we CAN help. That's what standing together is all about.

There are a number of unemployed pilots on this board, right now. Some who appear to be sinking deeper and deeper into despair, others who are biding their time. You know them, you know who they are. With all the people who frequent this board, I challenge each and every one of us to keep eyes open and ears to the tarmac, and find some employment and relief for these fellow citizens. Be united. Stay united. But do it for the living, and not a slogan or a symbol. Symbols don't eat, symbols don't raise families. We are the flag. Wave, and be heard.

>>>>Let's not weave your belief of a cars quality into the discussion of trade imbalance.

I've looked through the preceding posts pretty carefully and I can't see where anyone has mentioned quality.

BTW, I don't think anyone "flamed" you. they disagreed with you, and backed up their opinions with what appear to be facts, but it certainly wasn't flaming.

regards

Well written avbug.

Probably the best post I have seen on this board.

Latest resources

Back