Read and Learn from this!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yikes! That is a sad story.

I won't judge since I wasn't there, but bad things can happen to good pilots too. We all screw up sometimes. I wish those guys the best.

reading the report its easy to play Monday Mornin' QB, but Im sure it was just a few split second decisions that worked out badly........any company that does enough flying will have an incident or accident.

Best thing is nobody got hurt, thats really what matters.

Analyze it and learn

What do you mean, dont analyze it? That is the only way anything can be learned from someone elses mistake.

Read it and put yourself in their position....

What would you have done.

like I said, nothing is worse than a Monday Morning QB.

The guy was hot and high and landed long, what more do you want??? It was a simple judgement call that went wrong and may have cost the guy his career. Leave it be.

We know where the NTSB website is if we want to read it and imagine ourselves there (most of us dont).

Get a life.

Flops accident

They sure were singin like canaries to the feds after they pranged up that Beechjet, werent they?

I feel bad for the FO...he wanted to go around...shoulda been a little more assertive...

Flight Options looks very very bad right now.

factual radar data of 3000 feet, 3 miles out, almost 100 knots more than Vref over the ground and thinking you can make a 5000 foot runway with data to stop in 3300 feet (should be planning 3800 with an intermittent anti-skid) is just plain stupid if you ask me. That is more than a 6 degree glide slope carrying 100 knots faster than Vref. I dont think this is a "high and fast", scenario. This has "go-around" written all over it. Not to mention 15L at BWI has an ILS for back-up. Doesnt Options have a SOP? If you're not confgured, on-speed and on glideslope by 500 or 1000 it should be a no-brainer. Dont wait till you're 300 feet crossing the threshold doing ref+50!! (over the ground data of course, but i would think there was some sort of a headwind and definitely not a 20 knot tailwind) Forget the Monday Morning QB BS. The factual data is there. This guy was BEYOND high and fast. He got what he deserved! Anyone that thinks this is something that happen to a good pilot is probably the same type of person that spreads the old saying "There are those that have, and those that are about to" Know your approach ratios!

To be analytical, I have to say that I don't see any kind of "subtlety" that might have been overlooked by an otherwise "good pilot".

If you are following normal procedures, you are establishing an approach profile which is clear and familiar. We always put the ILS in when available, even CAVU, to keep from lining up with the wrong runway. Speeds are calculated, briefed, set, and followed. I'll bet it was normal practice for this crew, too. So, why wasn't that regime followed on this aproach? One hundred over Vref? Am I missing something?

I just don't see how a "split second decision" might have lasted from ten miles out to short final.

Latest resources

Back