Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lear Wanna Be

Presidentin' is hard
OK, don't slam me here, because I am really just asking to try to understand. Why is it that airline pilots (not all, probably just a few) are so impatient on the radio? For example, "Atlanta Center Nxxxxx checking in at 8,000." Three second pause then, "Atlanta Center (Airline of your choice)579 out of FL190 climbing FL230." Also, I quite often hear on initial check on if there is no response from the control fairly quickly (10 seconds max, usually just a couple) that you try again. Just kind of curious more than anything. Is it in the FOM that you guys have to establish radio contact ASAP. I realize you go fast, but does 5-10 extra seconds really matter?

Don't go getting all defensive, it really is no big deal. As I said, just curious. If the controller is too busy for me, that is no problem.

Because the sooner we end a stupid radio conversation the sooner we can go back to reading the paper. :laugh:

Lear Wanna Be said:
OK, don't slam me here, because I am really just asking to try to understand. Why is it that airline pilots (not all, probably just a few) are so impatient on the radio? For example, "Atlanta Center Nxxxxx checking in at 8,000." Three second pause then, "Atlanta Center (Airline of your choice)579 out of FL190 climbing FL230." Also, I quite often hear on initial check on if there is no response from the control fairly quickly (10 seconds max, usually just a couple) that you try again. Just kind of curious more than anything. Is it in the FOM that you guys have to establish radio contact ASAP. I realize you go fast, but does 5-10 extra seconds really matter?

Don't go getting all defensive, it really is no big deal. As I said, just curious. If the controller is too busy for me, that is no problem.

Because we're climbing fast enough that a significant delay in contact can require an unnecessary level-off, which is kind of a p.i.t.a.

At cruise we can sit and wait.

Dude, you have 7100 hours! You should be able to answer this yourself by now....I would think. Or, are you really not asking a question but making a statement? If so, then come out with it and don't hide it in a question.

radarlove said:
Because we're climbing fast enough that a significant delay in contact can require an unnecessary level-off, which is kind of a p.i.t.a.

At cruise we can sit and wait.

Agreed, mostly to aviod a level off that you know will only last as long as it takes the controller to answer....then back to the climb.

To all you guys, thanks. Was just curious more than anything. Yeah, the level off kind of sucks when you are sitting in the back too.

Mamma said:
Dude, you have 7100 hours! You should be able to answer this yourself by now....I would think. Or, are you really not asking a question but making a statement? If so, then come out with it and don't hide it in a question.

No statement here. I use to be annoyed at controllers until I understood what they had to deal with. Seperation, agreements with other areas, vectors for contoller amusement, blah, blah, blah. Kind of thought it be nice to see it from your side too.

Everyone is so hung up on hours...Problem with being my own boss. Make good money and have a lot of fun doing it. Down side, yet to fly anything really fast or really cool. Thus, 7100+ and no ATP (another hang-up with folks around here). It is really hard to walk away from. Can't afford the pay cut or job insecurity.

Lear Wanna Be said:

It doesn't matter.
ATC has a special monitor to determine when the power has come back.
A higher altitude clearance will be forthcoming upon power reduction.

Turn that question back around at ATC. When they issue an instruction, they give the pilot what, maybe 5 seconds before they repeat it?

Same thing....if the controller doesn't respond to me within 5 seconds or so, I'm going to assume they didn't hear my original transmission for some reason.

Another thing that no one seems to do is use standard phraseology on check-ins.

I always check in just like this (yes, I want a cookie):

"Atlanta Center, Airliner Twelve Thirty-Four, level, flight level three-seven-zero"

I've seen ATC videos that request that pilots say "level", "climbing" or "descending" before they say the altitude. I try to do that just to help ATC out a bit. I do sound a little stupid saying level almost twice in a row there, but I'm not the only one who uses this phraseology. For lack of anything better, I guess it's the ATC-preferred standard.

Another thing, why doesn't everyone announce vacating one assigned altitude for another (aka descending to cross an arrival fix at the assigned altitude)?

Here's something interesting I heard the other day, a Delta flight giving full position reports in Mexico even though the Mexican controller responded to every transmission with "RADAR CONTACT".

One last question, what's the proper way to pronounce a flight number such as 3001, 2006, etc? Three-Thousand One? Thirty Oh-One? Thirty Zero One? Three Zero Zero One?

I actually had a controller once who wouldn't accept my acknowledgements unless I responded with Thirty Zero One instead of Three Thousand One.

Alchemy said:
Turn that question back around at ATC. When they issue an instruction, they give the pilot what, maybe 5 seconds before they repeat it?
Many controllers get PO'd WAY faster than that. There are a few who don't allow anytime for anyone else to speak either. On the other hand it doesn't take many pilots not listening to jam a frequencey up.
Same thing....if the controller doesn't respond to me within 5 seconds or so, I'm going to assume they didn't hear my original transmission for some reason.

Another thing that no one seems to do is use standard phraseology on check-ins.

I always check in just like this (yes, I want a cookie):

"Atlanta Center, Airliner Twelve Thirty-Four, level, flight level three-seven-zero"

I've seen ATC videos that request that pilots say "level", "climbing" or "descending" before they say the altitude. I try to do that just to help ATC out a bit. I do sound a little stupid saying level almost twice in a row there, but I'm not the only one who uses this phraseology. For lack of anything better, I guess it's the ATC-preferred standard.
This bit is interesting to me. The AIM wants us to say "climing to FL XXX' Personally I think this is bad technique. "To" and "for" sound just like "two" and "four". In a congested environment this can get ugly (and be hard to say). Personlly, I never say "to" or "for" on the radio.
Another thing, why doesn't everyone announce vacating one assigned altitude for another (aka descending to cross an arrival fix at the assigned altitude)?
This is another one that should go back to ATC. Whenever I decide to follow the AIM and do this, ATC seems annoyed at my extraneous call. I've never heard them chew someone out for not making it.

One last question, what's the proper way to pronounce a flight number such as 3001, 2006, etc? Three-Thousand One? Thirty Oh-One? Thirty Zero One? Three Zero Zero One?
My understanding is that your callsign is the one thing you get some authority over, whateve you checkin with is what they should use. I always say it the way that seems easiest.
I actually had a controller once who wouldn't accept my acknowledgements unless I responded with Thirty Zero One instead of Three Thousand One.
What a smuck.

Latest resources

Back