• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

quick approach question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know if you are looking for DP's also, but there is one out of Medford, Oregon (KMFR) that is pretty good. It has a direct to NDB then outbound on the 45 deg bearing to intercept a DME arc, then fly the arc around to intercept a VOR radial.

It's a pretty good one for practice.

Have fun!

These were always my favorites as an instructor:

Try the VOR or GPS-A at Fort Atkinson (61C) Wisconsin by using only the VOR and ADF (ie. without the GPS or DME). I used to give this one to my "cocky" instrument students all the time. It usually did its job and let them know that they didn't know it all! If I remember, there was another airport in WI with an approach like this but I can't remember the name.

Morristown (MMU) NJ has a pretty good NDB approach to runway 5. The NDB is 3.2 miles off field and the approach course bends 15 degrees after crossing the NDB. I had to do this one down to mins one night because the ILS was down. It was challenging, but lots of fun!

Woodward (WWR) OK has a VOR/DME-A that is a little different. If you fly the 7 DME arc to the final approach course you actually fly away from the VOR. This really isn't hard or anything, but I used it as an example to show that every rule has an exception. I used to teach to turn the OBS knob in the same direction you were arcing. For example if you were arcing clockwise, you would turn the OBS knob clockwise as well. This makes it easier to join the FAC w/o twisting the OBS 180 degrees. The exception is when the final approach course is flown away from the VOR as in the case at Woodward.

Have fun!

A really good airport for multiple approaches is Alton Il (ALN). They have every type of approach there from ILS, LOC BC, VOR, NDB (on and off the field) and GPS. But if you just want hard ASE is good so is SJT VOR, you have to get down quick and even though its straight in you have about a 25 deg turn to final.

Try Rhinelander, WI as well. And for a fun one, there is an approach in Kansas or somewhere around there with the fixes
SPICY BARBQ RIBBS.

Speaking of funny names for fixes there is one out east, I think maybe in NH or another state nearby. There were a series of fixes that when read out loud read: "I tawt a taw a puddy tat....". The spelling might be wrong, but you get the idea. Does anyone know which airport and approach this is? I'd love to take another look at it!

Medford (MFR) is great for the dp! Try doing the NDB at Kelso (KLS) washington. It has a turn at the FAF, it can be tricky. There is a VOR approach at YKM that has a turn at the FAF also.

Illini,

You're looking for Portsmouth, NH (PSM) - the GPS 16 approach. Pretty funny!

Spicy...barbq...ribbs

Ah yes - if memory serves, spicy, barbq, ribbs can be had at KMCI - Kansas City International :) I think it's the ILS 1L?

Another great one along those lines, and also good for practice are the approaches into McCarron - Las Vegas. Once again, if memory serves, they have the Newton x arrival - with fixes ISAAC, WAYNE, etc etc...

Pretty funny.

-Brew3

Who would have thought that anybody working for the fed would have a sence of humor.

Who names intersections, waypoints, lom's ...... anyway? Is there any ryme of reason to it?

Not a difficult approach,

But the VOR Arc approach into Martin State MD is one of the only arcing approaches I've seen. When I say arc, I don't mean fly an arc and intercept a final off the arc. The ARC is the final. Uses BAL VOR I think (the one located at BWI) and you fly the DME ARC, using radials for stepdown. Take a look if you haven't seen one like that. Cya

Latest resources

Back