Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for Fedex guys and gals.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

schmooze

Hey, all! I was wondering if any of the FDX drivers could answer a few quick questions for me.
I have heard that if you are employed by FDX for at least 2 years, you are eligible for an interview with the flight department, provided you meet the minimum requirements. If this is so, is the 2 year term consecutive or cumulative?
Also, I was recently hired by a company by the name of American Freightways (who happens to be a FDX company/subsidary) as part time help. A few years prior, I was employed by FDX as a cargo handler. My question is as follows: If the 2 year policy is in fact true, will I have to remain here for a minimum of 2 years, or can I add the time I'll be employed at AF to my previous employment reign at FDX? Also, will American Freightways count as time at FDX since they are under the same parent company?

Thanks in advance.
Schmooze

Schmooze,
I am not an expert on it, but I think it works more like this.
You interview for a instructor position and at the same time it is also a interview for a flight crew position. I f you get hired you work for 2 (maybe 3 I am not sure) years as an instructor and then after that you go to the line starting in a new hire class. You do not accrue senority, ie. you start at year one pay with everyone else.
I have also head of instructors that were still waiting to get a interview for a flight crew position.
Hope this helps some, hopefully somone else can fill in the blanks.

Haven't heard of it for a while, but people used to be able to get interviews after working on the ramp, etc. for a year or two. If that is still in place (which it probably is in some form), I would guess that you would need that to be working at FedEx Express itself and that it would need to be continuous service.

"Pro" Instructors

Adding to "USMCFDX",

This is what I've heard since recently coming out of training.

Anyone off the street can apply for an instructor position (sim and/or ground school) that incurs a 3 year "tour" at the schoolhouse. You're guaranteed/scheduled for an interview to a regular flightline position "sometime" during those 3 years. If you do well, you'll get a flight officer "offer" with class date, etc.. You start with all the other new hires and don't "leapfrog" up 3 years...If the interview goes bad, you can probably stay on as a Professional IP - like one of our Airbus IP's who was turned down! This guy was a former F-14 driver and didn't get picked up, no telling what they're looking for....

Guess what I'm passing on is the regular line job is not guaranteed after a 3 year tour in the schoolhouse..... this is what I've been told by former and current Professional IP's....

Here's a real petty question for the FedEx guys. I know you get ID-90's and whatnot on some airlines, but what about your parents? Are they allowed any travel benefits? Mine are nervous about the possibility of loosing their benefits.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Rob

Traveling parents

Unless they are comfortable in a box with holes, the answer is no.

Pick up one trip out of open time and buy your folks their own tickets.

The drawback to FedEx is not the lack of passes, its the lack of FAs. However...combat descents and a 90 second egress of the cockpit after shutdown do have their appeal.

Seeing the (purple) light....

Albie

Latest resources

Back