Question - SWA reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NerfHerder

Hi all, just curious about the SWA reserve system. 1, Is there a system to see any open trips that need to be covered for the next day and "bid" for them? 2. Can you "pass" on trips when they call you if there is someone junior available etc? 3. What is the callout time or are there different callout categories etc? 4. Is there ready reserve at the airport? Thanks for any info you have - also if there is anything about the reserve system you know but I forgot to ask please put it in. Thanks again! - hope to see you all on the line soon!

SWA Reserve

I've been sitting reserve at BWI since January; here's my attempt to answer your questions. Just realize I still don't know all the answers -- I keep getting a new "lesson" from scheduling every few weeks! Just part of my continuing education!

1. Is there a system to see any open trips that need to be covered for the next day and "bid" for them?

No, there's not a system like that -- it would be nice. You can get an idea of what's uncovered though through our computerized daily open time bidding. The company posts its open time 5 days out in the future. You can log on and bid for that open time. Not only can you see what's open, but you can also see who's bidding on what. As a reservist, I look at what's in open time for the days I'm sitting reserve. Those trips that are in there that do not have any bidders are ones I may eventually get as a reserve. If it's not filled via open time bidding, then I think they try to sell it to guys who have indicated they will do extra fly or voluntary junior available. No takers there -- then it comes to the reserves. When they run out of reserves, then they go to the junior available system.

2. Can you "pass" on trips when they call you if there is someone junior available etc?

Supposedly, you can pass, but I haven't ever been able to talk scheduling into it. I think the system does exist, but I do not think it works. Someone a little more senior than me may be able to elaborate. I think what it boils down to is that scheduling doesn't want to keep hunting people, so they go down the daily reserve order and if your number's up; you're going to get the trip.

There is a way we can set a "reserve preference" through our computerized schedule, but I've found through practical experience that scheduling pretty much ignores that preference. You can set it several different ways: want to fly, want to pass, will fly extra day, etc.

3. What is the callout time or are there different callout categories etc?

You have to sign in within 2 hours of notification.

4. Is there ready reserve at the airport?

No.

If any of y'all have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

KJ

A traditional pass doesn't really exist. Instead the "Daily reserve order" is established at 10AM that day based on the preference you've indicated on the board. But we keep such a minimal number of reserves, that you can pretty much expect to fly.

Also don't just look at Baltimore, a reserve may pick up part of a trip that originated at another domicile.

Don't forget to add sick calls to the open trips that reserves cover.

Expect to stay busy if you stay on reserve since there won't be any hiring until August.

Latest resources

Back