Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

neflyguy

Hi all,

I spoke with ACA last week and it looks like I'm headed to a 328 class on April 8th. I know I'll get asked this, so here it is. I interviewed late August 2001, (furloughed 1900D FO) offered a 328 class in September for Dec 28th, which as you all know was cancelled. I'm pretty excited as ACA was my top choice. I live in the Boston area. They said that they would be hiring about 350 this year, but I'm not sure how big the pool is. I believe that I was towards the end but I'm not sure. So for you other poolies out there be patient your time will come real soon, and for everyone else, I think the hiring is going to start up again as well.

A couple of questions, any info would be greatly appreciated.

1. Where can I get some info on the 328 #, I may as well start memorizing/reviewing the tech/systems data.

2. What are some of the standard callouts? Any specific wts or special systems/eqpt on ACAs 328s?

3. How junior or senior is Boston. or LGA, if you get CVG or elsewher are you locked there before you can bid out?

4. How long is the gap between the end of ground, sim, and IOE?

5. Is the hotel paid during training, any per diem etc?? or if not cheap places to stay. I know I'm dreaming (I'm sure the accomodation prices are similiar to Boston).

Any other insights or info would be great.
Again for those of you going to interviews, any interview, be yourself, know your tech stuff. and show them that they will not dread being on a four day trip with you. It is that simple. To sum it up I had the fun of doing alot of interviews (toured the country) last August (offers from all but one). I think what they all look for the same thing a humbled confidence, they know that your trainable. If you do not know something do not BS them, at each interview there was one or two things I could not answer but I still got the offers.

If anyone wants to send a private email that would be much welcomed. To all you ACA guys/gals. I'm really looking forward to flying with you!

Good luck to all, and make your own breaks!

NEflyguy

A couple of questions, any info would be greatly appreciated.

1. Where can I get some info on the 328 #, I may as well start memorizing/reviewing the tech/systems data.

Sorry, don't know.

2. What are some of the standard callouts? Any specific wts or special systems/eqpt on ACAs 328s?

Pretty simplified but still too numerous and time consuming to start typing out.

3. How junior or senior is Boston. or LGA, if you get CVG or elsewher are you locked there before you can bid out?

Currently, LGA senior, BOS junior.
Looks like CVG will go senior, LGA will thin out with less flying but still senior, BOS should stay junior.

4. How long is the gap between the end of ground, sim, and IOE?

Depends on how the training dept is handling things. Could be 2 weeks or 2 months.

5. Is the hotel paid during training, any per diem etc?? or if not cheap places to stay. I know I'm dreaming (I'm sure the accomodation prices are similiar to Boston).

No hotel no per diem. Leesburgh Holiday Inn has good airline rate for $60.00. Go down early and start trying to hook up a crash pad for the month.

Once on line you'll have a great time with some terrific people to fly with. Things are going well here. The potential hiring this year (350) would put me in the middle of the senority list after only 2 years here.

BOS FO seniority

There's a rumor (so take it with a grain of salt) that a grievence has been filed about how senior FOs in LGA were not allowed to bid for BOS slots before given to newhires off the street. If the grievence goes through, there could be a large shift in relative seniority between the two bases.

Background: LGA opened up first, followed several months later by BOS. The current LGA crews were not allowed to bid for the BOS base and it was given to newhires, which was a no-no. What this did was allow a newhire to hold a line in BOS while a person with 1.5 yrs seniority can barely hold a line in LGA.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really looking forward to being there.
Why would CVG go senior, are there that many people from out that way, or are the lines just better? One last question, does ACA still have a commuter clause?

Thanks

Answers

CVG could go senior as it might be an easier commute for those doing so. I think it will be a mix of senior and junior.

ACA does have a commuter clause in our contract. Just list yourself for two flights. If you don't make either one you're off the hook. Usually, though, you call scheduling after the first one leaves and tell them you have missed it and they will almost always list you as a required deadheading crewmember.

Later.

BOS-LGA Base

I sure hope that grievence goes through. If the flying thins out at LGA many 1.5 yr FO's could get reserve. Ideally they should open up all three bases and allow a shift - let the chips fall where they may. Of course there are other factors preventing this. Nevertheless, schedules should be interesting for the next few months until things settle.

Commuter clause applies to Delta/United and their regionals.

i was looking for the same when i started Dornier training and since its a rainy, $hitty day out, i'll give you some info to start with.....

some specs can be found here:

http://www.fairchilddornier.com/en/products/328jet.html

click on the specifications link.. .most weights.. engines.. etc

Memory items: (only 3)

Smoke in Cockpit:

Oxygen masks............ DON/SET EMERGENCY
PILOT COMMUNICATIONS............ESTABLISH

RAPID DECOMPRESSION:

OXYGEN MASKS..............DON/SET EMERGENCY
PILOT COMMUNICATIONS............ESTABLISH
SEAT BELT/NO SMOKING SIGNS.............ON
if required
EMERGENCY DESCENT....................INITIATE

GROUND EVACUATION

PARKING BRAKE..................SET
THRUST LEVERS..............CUT OFF
ATC.................................NOTIFY
EMERGENCY LIGHTS.............ON
CABIN DUMP button..........DUMP
APU(if running)..................STOP
if required
FIRE BUTTON(S)...........PUSH
SQUIB(S)......................PUSH
PA..................."EVACUATE,EVACUATE,EVACUATE"
BATTERIES.......................OFF

all the above memory items MUST be said VERBATIM in an oral... in other words... if you say "APU.... STOP" without the "if running" you fail..... if you say "CABIN DUMP BUTTON......PUSH" you fail....

theres a nice head start for ya.. .let me know if i can help more :)

ACA Training

Since I'm in the 41 (till it's gone---easy seniority) I can only give you hearsay. But from what I hear, the 328 training is really really good. The only problems with it have been how long it was taking. Don't worry too much about memorizing things right now. A good head start is OK, but first enjoy the victory...have a beer. Welcome Aboard!

Thank you,

You're right, time to enjoy it! It seems like you guys have a great pilot group. Thanks for the replies!

Congrats Flyguy.

Welcome to ACA!!!

I just finished 328 training and start IOE this week. Things have picked up and they are getting people through in about 80 days.

As stated above there is only three memory items and you'll have plenty of time for the limitations. Enjoy yourself and have fun.

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back