Question about differing Transition Levels and Altitudes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Does anyone know about how Transition Level and altitudes are set? Why do transition levels and altitudes vary in differing countries?

Transition levels are set by the average atmospheric pressure altitude that is 2,000Ft. Higher than that country's highest terrain. When an air space has different transition levels and altitudes, is because they have certain areas where the concentration of the traffic is higher due to specific entry and exit corridors, they usually maintain a level to inbound A/C's and an altitude to departing A/C's within those corridors. That is what I remember from reading it many moons ago, maybe somebody else can post links that will give a better explanation.

Trans. level on approach/arrival chart. Trans. alt set by ATC. Except in the US where it's a standard 18,000'

No transition layer in the US, but we do have minimum usable flight levels. In other countries, they have transition layers which account for varying transition altitudes based on QNH and terrain.

Sorry, OB lots of places have published transition altitudes, not set by ATC.
UAE, for example.

Transition Level - L for Level L for LOCAL ALTIMETER below this

Transition Altitude - A for Altitude A for ABOVE this is 29.92

Level v points in the direction down. V points towards Down as In which direction you are going.

Same with Transition Altitude A points UP ( direction of Flight) Just My gouge for new jet pilots. take it or leave but it works.

Level v points in the direction down. V points towards Down as In which direction you are going.

Same with Transition Altitude A points UP ( direction of Flight) Just My gouge for new jet pilots. take it or leave but it works.

yes another good way to remember

A good way to remember. I will use this one!

Latest resources

Back