Qatar

sunkilr73

Total Time
I know a few guys that are there now. I don't know details regarding work rules. I know the pay is GOOD it's tax free, I beleive company also pays for housing(Not 100% sure). There are many foreign pilots,guys I know are Central American, but I'am told there are like 80 different nationalities working for the airline.

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
Word on the street is that Emirates and Ethiad are the top two, followed kind of closely by Qatar Airways and further by Gulf Air (kind of a mess right now).

A friend who was a check pilot for GF said "don't leave a job for one of these but if you're out of work, they're pretty good".

Keep in mind, on pprune, you will get a very negative view of whatever airline you are discussing (from BA to Cathay to the gulf carriers). TC

Golden Falcon

Total Time
21000+
Qatar has probably the cleanest aircraft and some of the nicest routes, pay is among the top, lots of rules at work regarding wearing hats not getting served by the crew until all pax are served a bit of a strict place to work...but if u follow the rules, all of them you stay out of trouble...not quite the cozy crm style atmosphere we enjoy elsewhere over here...rents in Qatar expensive not sure oif the housing covers all of it...depends on your taste in housing like most places over here...

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
Golden Falcon -

How often do yo get to go back stateside?

FD

Golden Falcon

Total Time
21000+
Hate spending time in the back of airplanes, so dont go that often...short trips to the east are more akin to my liking

On Your Six

Total Time
The CEO is a tyrant. He makes Frank Lorenzo look like an angel. I would avoid this airline like the plague based on what I have heard and read (just read PPrune for examples). If you absolutely MUST go to the Middle East, I guess Emirates would be my pick with Etihad would be a close second. Dubai is getting more expensive but at least it has sections that resemble the US of A. I hear Doha is boring...

Guam360

spam and rice please
Total Time
>8000
Dubai is getting more expensive but at least it has sections that resemble the US of A. I hear Doha is boring...
Why on earth would you want to work for a foreign carrier and live there and hope or want it to resemble the US of A???

Go back to UAL and fly domestic.

On Your Six

Total Time
Why on earth would you want to work for a foreign carrier and live there and hope or want it to resemble the US of A???

Go back to UAL and fly domestic.
I have no interest in going to the Middle East. I was merely saying that if I were interested, Emirates would likely be my choice - although Etihad could be a close second. I don't like the autocratic control those governments have over their airlines. Pilots have very few rights - and that is not surprising in that part of the world.

With regard to returning to United - I have passed on that opportunity. Not interested. UAL has no clear plan of action and I like my Global gig too much. My 121 experience was also boring and unfulfilling. To each his own I guess...

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
I'd trust Golden Falcon before I'd trust pprune. In fact, I'd trust most anything I heard before pprune. TC

Golden Falcon

Total Time
21000+
The "observations" on Pprune represent about 5% of the pilots and 100% of the bitchers and whiners...but the middle east is great if you need a job, but not worth leaving a career back home for...

johnsonrod

Total Time
8000+
The "observations" on Pprune represent about 5% of the pilots and 100% of the bitchers and whiners...but the middle east is great if you need a job, but not worth leaving a career back home for...
Best post I've read in a long time.......

TD_Klondike

Total Time
My girlfriend worked as a translator for Qatar airlines. She doesn't have bad stuff to say about the airline, but life in Qatar was hard for her. They're not exactly progressive...

Being male, your experience will differ for sure, but she told me stories that made me think it may not be a really safe place for Americans right now.

Vsf

Total Time
2 low
Golden Falcon,

Does a pilot have to be high time to find something out there?

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
About 3000 hours total with some of that being on the 727 should get you a interview with Gulf Air or Qatar.. Etihad or Emirates you will need 4000+