Property Taxes comparing PBI and DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SAEflyer

If anyone who lives around the Dallas TX area or the West Palm Beach area could please provide me with some information about property tax rates. My fiancee and i are trying to choose if we'd rather be located in Dallas or PBI for Netjets. The houses are MUCH cheaper in Dallas but i was told by her mother, who by the way wants us to stay in florida, that a 150,000 house in texas pays almost 15,000 a year in property taxes. Any help would be appreciated!

Taxes in Dallas are no where near 15K on 150. More like 4,000 or so per year on a 150,000 home, but it depends a lot on what county and school district you buy in...

I understand your problem but if you think you are going to be able to buy a house in Palm Beach for 150,000 you are kidding yourself. You need to double that just to buy a starter house. I cant belive the taxes are than much in Dallas, but if they are you can write that off on you federal taxes. Florida doen't have any state income tax either.

Good luck with your decision

I was just throwing $150,000 out as a random number. We are planning on more like 250-300K. Any suggestions on good areas outside of DAL, within 45 minutes to an hour? Also tell me more about the tax write off for property taxes if you don't mind

Thanks

~2.5% in N. Dallas suburbs. 15 min. commute to DAL; 25 to DFW. Commuting will be even easier whenever the DART rail lines are finished.

Schools vary be area, but there is a lot of recreation and entertainment in the area. In the 150K price range I'd look at Carrollton, Frisco and Grapevine.

Congrats on the new job!

EDIT Didnt read all the posts. 250-300K would buy you a house nearly anywhere in Dallas and a new boat.

Last edited:
I know the schools in Plano are pretty good (sister-in-law teaches there) and their growth is just about done so they don't keep jacking the property taxes to keep building Taj Mahal schools.TC

I live in Jupiter and pay $6000 a year on a house that the county values at 200k with the homestead exemption. Problem is the market value is 450k and the new buyer pays taxes on the sale price.

Vero Beach 1hour 15 minutes north of pbi housing and taxes were very cheap.

Enjoy the new job.

Check out www.cbdfw.com This website will give you a complete listing areas in the metroplex to live. It will also tell you upfront the estimated taxes on each property.

RideandDrive said:
I live in Jupiter and pay $6000 a year on a house that the county values at 200k with the homestead exemption. Problem is the market value is 450k and the new buyer pays taxes on the sale price.

I also live in Jupiter and if you are paying $6000 on a house with an assessed value of $200k, you're paying at leasy $2000 too much. PBC taxes at roughly 2 mils, ie., $200,000 assessed value = approx $4000 per year tax. You are also fortunate that you are Homesteaded, because the Save Our Homes initiative caps annual increases in assessed values at 3% or the CPI, whichever is less. As someone previously mentioned, it is getting more difficult, if not impossible, to find a decent home in PBC for under $300,000.

Latest resources

Back