• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Profiling? (Humor!!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last evening, there was an interview on TV with famed economist Walter Williams. He refers to himself as "black". He told of when he visits his doctor, he is specifically singled out for particular tests for prostate cancer. WHY? He explained that it is wise for his doctor to "profile him on a racial basis" because black men have a higher incidence of prostate cancer.

He recommends that we begin our quest for airline security at the point where we have the most evidence of a problem: Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40. This probably means checking anyone who appears that they might fit that profile. It is a burden that has been imposed by the members of the profiled group who have already committed bad acts. They did not care that their acts would result in discrimination against their brothers. In fact, they were in all likelihood counting on our lack of guts in this area.

Have you seen the recent profiling of young Americans by cigarette retailers? You may indeed be old enough to smoke legally in the US, but if you APPEAR to be too young, and are under the age of 26, you can be asked to provide ID under the "WE CARD" program. We are comfortable with this profiling of legal adults over 18 in order to prevent those under 18 from buying cigarettes.

Why are we so uncomfortable when it comes to profiling another group in order to save others from a fate far more dangerous than smoking?

Good point, Timebuilder. A slightly off subject question here regarding the cigarettes you were talking about. If you have to show proof of age if you're under 26, how do you know if they are really 26 without proof of age? I used to work at a gas station where this was the law and I just carded pretty much everyone. It was not worth losing my job as to not offfend someone. Besides, who doesn't like being accused of being younger that they are? Just an observation.

I think that profiling will be one of the few effective tools that may help thwart another attack on an airliner.El Al has proved that done correctly,without regard to anyone's"feelings",profiling is effective.We are in a war against terrorism.There are people out there whose mission in life is to kill as many Americans as possible.For our own survival we'd better stop being "The United States Of The Offended".Kneeling to the god of political correctness will insure the death of this country.The Sum Of All Fears movie is a perfect example. In the book,the terrorists were radical Islamists.BUT....in the movie...yep...Neo Hitler radicals. God forbid that Hollywood stick to the text! No,we wouldn't want to offend the poor Muslims! This is the kind of BS that is at the top of a very slippery slope.

The funny part about all this is that the FAA does in fact PROFILE pax! They are profiling people who buy one way tickets with cash and dont check bags! Everyone knows this! Maybe you are talking about racial profilng, if so, I believe they should. Everytime I travel and I see some 7 year old traveling with her 75 year old grandmother I laugh at the security system that the government has told us is more secure. More secure than what I ask??

Ok Waca, you make a good point, and I agree with you. About the only similar trate is they they are Muslims. So what do we do now. If aliens were watching from above, I know they wouldn't see one religion down here as better then the other. They would only see those planes horribly crashing through the WTC and wonder how we were ever going to move into a greater state of being. I am going to watch that footage again. I do this every so often as I have the MPEGS on my laptop. I recommend everyone do this from time to time. Look at the carnage... Look at the horror created all over the world because of that day...

Last edited:
Perhaps the best reasoning behind profiling is found in a question posed to a famous criminal:

"Why do you rob banks?" he was asked. "Because" he quipped "that's where the money is"!!

In other words, if you want to locate Muslim extremists, you have to begin by looking at those who could be those whom you seek.

Looking for a terrorist by checking your grandmother just makes our efforts appear to be retarded, ah,..... eh,... um,... developmentally challenged. (My brother fits that category, and I wouldn't want him to devise our security. Our present efforts certainly appear as though he was in charge, though).

The FAA "profiling" of a one way ticket is specious and silly. Millions of travellers have no need of a round trip ticket. Now, terrorists know to avoid buying a one way fare. What a surprise.

Waka, your a little off. Richard R. was and is an extremist Muslim. That is the whole point. Extremist Muslims between ages of 17-40 are most likely going to commit a terrorist activity, and of those extremist Muslims 17-40, they will be of Middle Eastern decent or associated in some way.

I know the subject of civil liberties has come up. The argument I hear is, by profiling this group, it infringes on their civil liberties. Well, what about my civil liberties and all the others who have a right to be safe. Don't we all have the right to feel safe when we go to the movie, store, mall, drink water from the tap, live near a power plant, work in a high rise, live in a large city, and not to mention, travel on an airliner? With that in mind, I don't believe sacrificing the liberties of millions who feel frightened in America should be discarded to appease the few who fit the profile. Remember, the innocent people of America, (no matter what color your skin is or religion you practice), didn't pick the profile, the terrorist did.

If profiling is done, it will, no doubted, reduce the odds of Middle Eastern Muslim extremist males 17-40 from successfully committing terrorism, if that is who commits terrorism If we start seeing blond hair blue eyed woman committing terrorism, then they should be profiled as well.

This issue isn't has difficult has the media makes it to be. You identify who has the motive and who has a pattern of committing these acts. Once identified, you go after that description. If the bank down the street was just robbed by a brown hair, white mail driving a red pick-up, do you stop red pick-ups that have a white male with brown hair in the vicinity, or do you let it go and stop the 16 year old girl driving the convertible Rabbit with the dog in the back seat? Common sense tells me, the red pick up. Yes, the one that fits the description/profile. In comparison, if Middle Eastern Muslim extremist males 17-20 have publicly announced to destroying America, (no matter how few), you must keep an eye out for them. There's nothing wrong with asking these folks a few extra questions. It should be understandable and not an outrage.

If we continue to ignore paraplegic red-haired Scandinavian grandmothers we are doomed.;)

Those pesky gnomes

BacktoAA

I don't know man....those smurfs always seem to get all riled up by those darn underwear gnomes.

Re: Those pesky gnomes

I don't know man....those smurfs always seem to get all riled up by those darn underwear gnomes.

Dude those underpants gnomes are pi$$ing me off too. Not only do they steal your shorts, but they keep singing that dang song that I can't get outta my head! "We are the underpants...."

:D

Skeezer

Latest resources

Back