Professional Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

billboeing

I ve been out of work since october. And I am finding it difficult to find work. No, I am not a low timer; 4 years of 121 and a year of fractional experience, with lr45 type and be1900 type; over 4400 hours. Now the question, I have an opportunity to commit to school full time or should I continue this lack luster job search? I would love to work and go to school, but due to the circumstancesI am unable. Would I be selling my self short if I put my flying career on hold to fulfill my educational need. Commiting full time to school would have me finishing within the next year and a half. Also I have considered doing an internship. Would that help my endeavors any more? Considering the potential lay off.

THank YOU

Your education must come first. Go to school if you have the opportunity. (Don't get down the road like some of us--namely me--and find that you should have gone when you had the chance).

There isn't much you get to take with you when you leave this world, but an education is one of those things. Get one, and it can never be taken away.

Now is as good a time as any to finish school. Hiring is slow, and going to school to finish your requirements will only be looked upon favorably. If you have the chance to do some instructing or other flying on the side, so much the better.

You are to be commended for your desire. Good luck to you!

School

Finish your degree. Do it, on an ACCREDITED campus. Get your B.S. or B.A. You have great quals. With your degree you'll be the complete package and be highly employable by the MAJORS when hiring resumes. Without it, you'll be just another unemployed pilot. You don't need an internship with your qualifications.

Good luck with school.

billboeing,

Get your Degree. Hiring will get going in a few years and without it, you will not be as competitive. Potential employers will see your gap in flying and understand your reasons. They will be impressed with the fact you used your time wisely. Logging 1+ years in retail won't help you to reach you goals like a Degree will.

R.F.

You would be using this slow time wisely by finishing up your degree. You can always get current again when you finish school, a type rating doesn't go away from non use. A good flight sim on your PC can keep the skills from rusting.

Latest resources

Back