Preparing for CFI ride. Need advice.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer7SA

I'm preparing for my CFI initial and am a little confused about what they expect you to bring. I've talked to some friends who are CFIs and they differ on this point. Some think that you need to have a monstrous notebook with all knowledge in the PTS outlined by hand. Others just tell me that I will need to have my lesson plans and that's it. The PTS calls for lesson plans and a syllabus (I'm assuming for both private and commercial courses).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~Flyer7SA

I can tell you from my experience after having been sent home 15 minutes after the oral started... Have a "working library" with you. That means a current copy of the FAR/AIM, sectional chart for your area and Airport Facility Directory. Also, have on hand all the references listed in your PTS for your sources of information even though we know that some of those books were originally printed over 20 years ago! They're what the FAA uses so go with it! Also, be ready to present a lesson plan and be sure your logbook has all the necessary signoffs and ground instruction recorded. It's easy if you're prepared, but if you're lacking in any one area, you will be picked apart! If you make it through the oral portion, chances are the flying will be a piece of cake!;)

i too was sent packing after the oral reached the halfway point.
have everything down cold for both the private and commercial pts's. i was nailed on aerodynamics and a scenario regarding 2 aircraft into an uncontrolled field one on an instrument approach and the other in the pattern (touch and go's) with no radios.
all that to say i studied what i was lacking and passed the next time around). you're not by chance taking this in florida are you? MCO FSDO? i can offer more information if this is the case. good luck.
fly safe and GOD bless.

flyer7sa,

Where is your instructor during all this? You should have a CFI instructor who knows what's going on in your area and can guide you through the process. Granted there are not too many highly experienced CFI's at some flight schools do to the hiring in the last 5 years but you need someone you can trust. It makes a difference who the checkride is with and you should know as much about him/her as possible. Is it with the FAA or a DE? You really can't go wrong following the PTS exactly and thoroughly. Study, Study, Study, and know your stuff cold. You should be able to teach a private student everything they need to know from discovery/orientation flight to checkride. The same goes for commercial. For most applicants this results in an extensive notebook with lots of lesson plans in various configurations.

You should know what works for you and what you need to teach any information asked of you. For some lessons this might be a simple outline in FAA standard format if you know the material well. If you are rusty on some information the lesson plan can have some substance to it. I would agree about having a library of every source you think you might need with you. For any lesson you should know how to draw up an FAA lesson plan in the seven step format (I think this is how they still do it).

Good luck

work hard and be overprepared.

Having passed my CFI in the last couple of months, I should be able to help out a little. First off, definitely ask as many CFI's as you can what you need and try and figure out what the examiner is looking for. With that said, here is what I did:

I started out by sorting all of the paper handouts and lesson plans into categories such as aeromedical, cross country, night, landings, etc, even with categories for specific aircraft handouts. I organized these into 3 ring binders with tabs marking the categories. just to give an idea I completely filled 3 binders. I then brought all this along with every credible book I could find. Yes it was a pain to lug around, but I had a source for everything I needed. Remember, although your knowledge is being tested, they really want to know if you can teach that knowledge. I pulled out a sheet or turned to a page in the book for a good deal of the questions that I was asked and used these references to teach the material. Obviously you can not read it verbatim to the examiner, but if he asks you about a specific reg, open your FAR's, find the reg, and point it out to him/her. This is particularly helpful if you aren't quite sure of something.

Good luck and remember, be prepared and teach the examiner, don't just regurgitate info to them.

CFI Oral

I recommended something like 15 students for their initial CFIs. Indeed, your instructor should have ensured you dragged all the proper materials to the practical.

DO know the Private and Commercial PTS cold. Honest to goodness, for any FAA practical the PTS IS your study guide and IS your test. DO know the FOI cold. DO bring copies of the PTSs, Flight Training Handbook, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Instrument Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather, etc. It's fine to bring all the lesson plans you worked up during your training, but expect to work up a lesson plan from scratch and teach it to the examiner. KNOW the signoffs. Get AC 61-65D, which has the signoffs. You can find it online at www.faa.gov.
Do bring a CURRENT A/FD and charts. Know all the notams.

Have all these things at hand, be able to fly a Commercial ride from the right side while talking up what you're doing, don't argue with the examiner, get plenty of sleep the night before, eat right, and you should be set.

Good luck with your practical.

Last edited:
CFI ride

Going for the ride soon myself with a DE. She gave me a list of all things she wanted me to bring to the checkride. I would suggest contacting whomever you are taking the ride with to see what materials you need. Also--ask anyone who has taken a ride with them what you need to bring.

As far as the lesson plans, there is no where in the PTS (or in what she sent as a checklist) that indicates you need to make a single one (though I have made many!). Kind of hard to learn how to teach without going through that step though.

Good luck!

A couple of posts have mentioned taking the CFI ride with a DE.

Around here, I'm told that I HAD to take the CFI ride with the FAA. Am I being misinformed?

CFI Practical

Perhaps lesson plan prep comes under the "Planning Instructional Activity" section of the FOI. I don't have a CFI PTS in front of me. Don't bet the ranch that you won't have to work up one, though.

Whether you take your initial CFI with the FAA or a DE depends a lot on how busy your local FSDO is. It is FSDO's discretion if it wants to examine you itself or farm you out to a DE. The long and short of it is it probably doesn't make any difference either way. Some DE's are just as tough as FSDO. Some ASIs are very reasonable and even may be easier than a DE.

Most everyone knows of one DE at Scottsdale who gives eight-hour CFI orals. It is not that she is so tough; she is very grueling.

Good luck with your practical.

Like Bobbysamd said, it just depends on where you are whether you go with a Fed or DE. In the Seattle area the Feds do not give the initial rides unless you really want them to. They haven't done them for about a year or so.

As for the ride, know the endorsements and the FOI stuff. My examiner told me to bring every book I own and be ready to answer anything she asked. If you are prepared for it, it isn't any harder than any other ride. I thought mine was by far easier than the private and instrument.

Latest resources

Back