Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptETWes

FedEx guys,

What is the required and/or preferred J/S attire? Uniform? Business casual? Need some info quick, please, as I am riding FedEx for the first time tomorrow to get to work; MEM-PHL. Any other tips about the check-in and screening process along with any other jumpseat info. would be appreciated, too. Has the recent TSA ban on liquids and gels been applied to cargo jumpseating?

Many thanks!

Collared shirt and pants are fine. Even jeans are specifically appropriate by an earlier email from the SCP. No need for uniform. I'm sure there are a few (we've got plenty) of loser Captains that would frown upon jeans though and never read company emails.

Uniform or business casual is "required" although you will see a lot of FedEx guys in jeans.

I THINK you will be okay with liquids - somebody else please help out here - you may have to be in uniform for that stuff.

Do you know where the AOC building is? Show up there about an hour and a half before takeoff (takes a bit longer than pax carriers - sorry). You will get screened through the xray machine after walking in the door. Then you check in at the desk right behind the machine and tell them your flight number. At FedEx, MEM you actually check in here, then again with security in a room right behind this desk, then again in a big room to the right of that room!! This final check-in is where you can have an announcement made to meet the crew outside when they step to the aircraft. They will announce the flight number for you. If you wonder why you have to check in at three different desks, you are on to the same thing I am.

Good news is you can ask any FedEx pilot around there and most many will actually walk you through the process. We love it when we can return the favor and I hope you have a good experience.

Collared shirt and pants are fine. Even jeans are specifically appropriate by an earlier email from the SCP. No need for uniform. I'm sure there are a few (we've got plenty) of loser Captains that would frown upon jeans though and never read company emails.

Why would anybody care? I don't understand why there is all this formality surrounded by the jumpseat..?

Why would anybody care? I don't understand why there is all this formality surrounded by the jumpseat..?

Because if you get stranded on a desert island it would be nice to have some cotton khakis or smart woolen slacks instead of those acid washed 505s you keep squeezing your sausages into. You never know when you and the volleyball may be rescued and it is always appropriate to look your best on such occassions.

Sheesh.

Uniform or business casual is "required" although you will see a lot of FedEx guys in jeans.

I THINK you will be okay with liquids - somebody else please help out here - you may have to be in uniform for that stuff.

Do you know where the AOC building is? Show up there about an hour and a half before takeoff (takes a bit longer than pax carriers - sorry).
Good news is you can ask any FedEx pilot around there and most many will actually walk you through the process. We love it when we can return the favor and I hope you have a good experience.

Thanks to all for the info. Just to be clear, all I was told by J/S Admin was to be there to check-in by the show time which is 1 hour prior to departure. Are you saying I still should be there 1.5 hrs prior? Earlier is better than late I'm sure.

Yes, I know where the AOC is. Did an internship in the Flight Coordination department about 5 years ago. I was also told by J/S that there is a J/S parking lot?? Know anything about this? If I should park in the MEM employee lot instead, I'll need to leave the house earlier to hop the shuttles to and fro the airport.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the info. Just to be clear, all I was told by J/S Admin was to be there to check-in by the show time which is 1 hour prior to departure. Are you saying I still should be there 1.5 hrs prior? Earlier is better than late I'm sure.

Yes, I know where the AOC is. Did an internship in the Flight Coordination department about 5 years ago. I was also told by J/S that there is a J/S parking lot?? Know anything about this? If I should park in the MEM employee lot instead, I'll need to leave the house earlier to hop the shuttles to and fro the airport.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

The jumpseat lot (aka pilot long-term parking) is on the north side of Democrat, about 1/2 mile west of the entrance to AOC. It's the far north of three parking lots there, flanked to the south by 2 hubite lots. Ask the sharp individual manning the security booth what the entry code (it'll be 3 digits followed by *) is after you show airline ID and tell them you're jumpseating. Crew buses run continuously from the parking lot to AOC.

Time-wise, if you plan on parking NLT 1/2 hour prior to show time, you should have ample time to get to AOC, check in, etc. Many crews will walk to the jet at or shortly after show time. Meaning if you're not already checked in etc. ahead of time you may miss the announcement. Feel free to ask any pilot where the desk for your flight is (ordered by last 2 digits of the flight number) and you can always find the crew directly and not have to rely on them remembering to page you to meet them at the bus.

Have fun!

hoya

Jeans are fine, they just can't be dirty, torn, or cut-offs. Collared shirt can be a button up or a pullover, like a polo. There is a 3 bag limit on luggage as well that they have recently begun to enforce.

Jeans are alright for online jumpseating by us. If I were jumping offline on anybody else I would at a minimum wear the old business casual.

I mean how hard can it be to put on a pair of khakis (and I hate them myself, but for a free ride its worth it) and a polo shirt?

Of course, if you are going to work you may want to wear the old uni so you don't have to pack it.

Good luck, and thanks to everybody who gives us jumpseats.

FJ

FedEx guys,

What is the required and/or preferred J/S attire? Uniform? Business casual? Need some info quick, please, as I am riding FedEx for the first time tomorrow to get to work; MEM-PHL. Any other tips about the check-in and screening process along with any other jumpseat info. would be appreciated, too. Has the recent TSA ban on liquids and gels been applied to cargo jumpseating?

Many thanks!

Ask Borat he can point you in the right direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back