Practical cost savings for ASA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

My contribution to the topic of 'Saving ASA': SLICE THE GO.

A-tach, A-tech, whatever you want to call it.

I gave myself a tour of the home office last week and was struck with just how many people are occupying space and drawing a paycheck from ASA. There are HUNDREDS of cube dwellers enjoying an 8-5 life. It was beyond description.

It baffles me that the cost savings drive seems to be focused so clearly on the people generating revenue, namely the pilots, while the people that populate the costs and expenses portions of the Profit and Loss sheet sit in air conditioned comfort working for the weekend.

Expensive building renovations. New flat screen monitors for new computers. Expensive overhead projectors. Spiffed up offices with high dollar furniture. Free lunches for outstation gate agents brought into town on the company's dime for 'training'. These are all features of the home office.

There are waaaay too many people
in the GO that don't produce revenue. My opinion: If you don't touch an airplane or speak face to face with fare paying passengers each and every day you work for ASA, then you should have to justify your salary before the next dime is asked for from the pilot group.

My opinion: If you don't touch an airplane or speak face to face with fare paying passengers each and every day you work for ASA, then you should have to justify your salary before the next dime is asked for from the pilot group.
On behalf of our brethren over at ASA...here's some justification for at least a few of those "cube dwellers" that "don't touch an aircraft or speak face to face with fare paying passengers each and every day".

(Yes, I know what you meant...I just haven't been a smart aleck on FI in over a week and saw a golden opportunity. :D )

Last edited:
Yeah, I get what you are saying. We have some very, very good dispatchers at ASA. Like other places, we also have some very bad dispatchers. I'm not taking a shot a dispatchers directly, per se.

(Now, if you --not you specifically, but in the third-person plural-- plan my flight to the last drop of fuel, with little reserves and not a bit of contingency fuel, when there is weather all along the route, and/or at 1700 local on a Friday, welllll, I think it should be noted. Do this with the regularity that it seems to be happening at ASA and I think you should be placed on a lavatory service detail before you ever get to dispatch another flight.)

Back to the original topic: there just seems to be waaaay too much in the way of overhead for me to be comfortable with the amount of sacrifice that seems to be on the horizon for the pilots at ASA.

I think you need to do a full research about every different department, everybody's specific job and responsibilities then come back with a full report before I'll believe "there's too many people"

You may be right but I think its highly disrespectful to those employees to just be mongering around the A-tech, eyeballing the amount of people, and then proclaim "there's too many people" without having any clue what these people do or without having any experience managing an airline.

Some of them probably look at the seniority list and say "Damn, there's too many pilots!" Which in this case, is true.

We'll leave it up to Brad to decide if there's too many people or not. He's doing an awesome job so far and has already cleaned out many of the bad apples.

Have you read "Among Friends?" The cost saving program is going on company wide. They are not "going after the pilots" In no company email or company press release have I heard them asking the pilots for cost savings. Only recently has ALPA sent out an email saving the company asked to negotiate PBS in good faith.

gym memberships to all pilots and FA's..the weight reductions may save a couple of pounds of fuel. put on your thinking caps.

Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday...

Not a half day, but a normal day...that would be great...

Also, we need to talk about your TPS reports...

Latest resources

Back