• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Please read if you're Furloughed.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Although I am not at Delta, I believe that Cobra benefits have been approved and since the FAA will not allow the jumpseat priviledge they (only the employee) will be provided passes for a year (I think).

Like I say, I am not at Delta so I don't know 100%. I am just lovin' my time off and waiting for the Red Tails to call me back to work.

Who would've thought that 30/31 days off a month would suck this bad!

More Daysoff than I want!

Here at Delta...the union is going to take care of our cobra payments for the life of the furlough, which is great!!!...we were issued these nice blue loser id's when we turned in our regular id's, which allowed us to jumpseat on Delta. However, as soon as they were issued, the wonderful folks at the FAA said that since we were no longer active 121 employees, we were a security risk and not allowed to ride the jumpseat on our own airplanes. Originaly we were given our normal pass benifits for 30 days after our furlough date...and then we would have the jumpseat and unlimited S4 passes (which are ID 90's), now since we don't have the jumpseat( which in our contract says we have to have ...lol) Mr. Mullin was nice enough to give us S3B's( which are the lowest priority that you don't have to pay for) notice the sarcasm!!!...anyway hope this helps

p.s. I forgot one thing..they also extended our normal travel benifits from 30 to 90 days after our furlough date.

Thanks for the post Turbo Potato. You guys are definitely leading the industry with support from your Union. I'd like to see that same industry standard for all the guys/gals on the street. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. I haven't heard any specifics from the AMR/TWA folks. Maybe they are doing something similar. Unfortunately, the good news seems to be awful slow in coming. I'd like to think that this will all change with an upturn in the economy soon.

As for DaysOff reply, thanks. I have a number of friends at Big Red too. Hoping the best for you and your bro's too. I have a good feeling about the economy returning in 2002. But I'm just not sure of how much of an impact it will have on the recalls. Standing by with plenty of days off on my end too!

Last edited:
UAL folks

Hey Guppy Puppy, Desk flyer, UAL727,and any others currently affected or soon to be in March like me, have you written letters to your LEC and others that may be able to help ?

I personally have written letters to my LEC chairman and Vice Chairman requesting carrying the ball forward on pass travel for furloughed employees. Because the buddy passes were brought back, an effort to generate more revenue in my opinion, I think it would be the fair thing to do extending these type of passes to furloughed employees. If Joe Blow on the street (no offense Joe) can use their friend's buddy passes, why not those EMPLOYEES that are making such a huge sacrafice for the future health of the company, even when it is against the contract ? I urge everyone to get involved with letters, phone calls, e-mails, and whatever else you might think of, time is running out for those already on the street and soon it will be another 403. Sounds like another 1,200 or so from what has been put out so far. Sure would be a big help to be able to get around so that people can find a job !

Good luck to all,

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, I have written my LEC on the issue of pass travel and Cobra. The ball moved a little bit on the COBRA issue, but we seem to be dead in the water on the pass travel. There just doesn't seem to be the level of urgency or support for the pass travel issue. This is unfortunate and it's a big problem if you're trying to get to a guard/reserve drill weekend. It leaves you in "pickle" between choosing to continue serve your country for a break even on salary, or just cutting loose and staying at home and trying to find a job locally.

I have a tiny bit different view on pass travel though. I don't think that the "companion passes" are the way to go. They cost money and aren't really all that cheap. I'm suggesting that we need to push only for write your owns. The reason for this is because it would have zero impact on the operation of those still employed. Higher seniority always goes first, it's easy to arrange, and it costs the company nothing to implement because you don't need an ID.

You're correct about many making an enormous financial hit with those on the street. Being on the street, for me at least, is a very eery feeling. I almost feel like a "ghost" if that makes any sense.

Hanging...

As far as pass travel goes, is our management that ignorant in thinking that if one doesn't use a companion pass that they will buy a ticket on United?

My sister used to come from DEN to visit our family in the bay area using my buddy passes. When they were cut, she just didn't come. If she had to come out and couldn't use a buddy pass, she'd seek the lowest fare.

My girlfriend tried to come with me on a layover a few weeks ago. After getting bumped off of 4 flights, I'd had enough and bought her a ticket. The one-way fare on United was $115 more than the one-way fare on Alaska. She went on Alaska.

I just don't see the reason, other than spite, that our management seems to be against the companion pass program.

I'll write to the LEC.

GP

Don't get me wrong, I too would like to see normal write your owns, if those are not available, I would like to see at least a buddy pass type ticket. Don't know about you guys, but I am not finding all that much success finding a flying job in my own back yard.

Jeff

Last edited:
No, I haven't written the MEC yet about the pass issue. I guess I really didn't think about it like that, as far as writing. I figure that they are working in my best interests and they are aware of the issue. Maybe I should be a little more proactive!

Anyway, I hear you on the job search. Not much luck here.....probably have sent over 100 different resumes out. I mean, I'm getting shot down for everything. It's crazy out there. One day, you are fat, dumb, and happy at UAL. The next, you're not good enough to be an Asst. Manager at Steak&Shake. Hey, I've even been shot down for even worse stuff than that.....I could go on and on.....we should start a thread on the lamest jobs guys have been shot down from....that would be funny- or actually kind of sad......

I finally gave up last week after 6 weeks of looking and took a job as a waiter in some Mexican place. Gotta try to prepare and save a little cash for March 1st. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, I can't believe it's come down to this.

I just started so I don't really know but I'm sure they could always use some good people. It's in Chicago so I'm not sure if that's where you live currently. Sounds like you can make semi-decent money. Haven't got out there on the floor yet, but I was told to expect between 30-50 bucks/lunch shift and 75-100 bucks at night. Send me a private message and I can give you more details if you are interested.

I have done this before a long time ago and never thought I'd have to go back to it. But the job market really is bad right now, even outside of aviation. One of the girls that I talked to said that she used to be a manager there and went back to waiting tables because she made more money doing that. The cool thing is that they can move you up to the bar when an opening comes up.

I believe if you find a fairly busy restauant with some decent menu prices you can do O.K. in just about any town. Might be another option to look at for some of the furloughed guys out there. Seems like every town has a busy area around a mall or strip. That's where to look. Feels strange though being "the old man of the group".

Latest resources

Back