• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane crash Aspen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You do NOT circle to land at Aspen. Unless your single engine. There is not enough room.

Not true. I know a Pt 91 GIV crew that specifically trained for circling east, although they only did it Day/VFR. Also, one of the Dash-8 operators used to do it frequently.

You do NOT circle to land at Aspen. Unless your single engine. There is not enough room.

I've circled into RWY 33 at Aspen. Of course, I was in the back of a Dash-8 coming in from Denver. Scared the bejeezus out of me. Can't imagine doing it in a jet.

In regards to this incident, don't forget that when the wind is strong out of the west to northwest, that little valley to your right just before RWY 15 creates a BRUTAL little rotor wind-shear. If this Mexican crew was new to operating at ASE, that is a HUGE gotcha.

Always a sad day for our industry when something like this happens.

I would guess if you were 91 and accepted a visual to 33 you would be legal. It might be foolish but I guess it would be legal.

So do those that circle to 33 make a right - hand pattern? I can't imagine a left downwind/base - it seems you would be snagging skiers off of the lift.

When I lived in PHX I airlined to ASE on Sky West. I woke up to a radical dive through a broken layer to circle to 33. Oh what fun, and I would never do that in a jet.

Latest resources

Back