Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Can anyone help me with a question about placarding an "Experimental/Exhibition" category airplane?

I seem to remember from my early days that having a "NX" registration, such as "NX1234A" could take the place of an "EXPERIMENTAL" decal on the airplane. This ring a bell with anyone else?

45.22(b) is the exception.

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:
(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:
(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or
(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and
(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

The Experimental decal requirement is in 45.23. There's also a passenger notification placard which is required somewhere, but I couldn't find it readily. I think that's still required even if you mark with NX.

-TF

Thanks for the response. After some more digging my interpretation was that (in our case, at least) the passenger warning was not required because the airplane was not amateur built. After a bunch of reading I ultimately determined the EXPERIMENTAL decal not be required due to the NX registration, then got to reading our Ops Limits and it stated that the decal was required per Part 45.22 (as I recall), but it's 45.23 (again, as I recall) that caveats the need for the decal with the NX registration, which the FAA will not issue.

The long and the short of it is that the FAA won't give you an "NX" or "NC" registration, that's up to you to include. All of our FAA paperwork simply says "NxxxxA". However since we qualify and are eligible, we have in fact used the "NX" option to denote the nature of our Type Cert. I believe that this fills the square.

Of course, nobody, not even the feds seems to know all of the rules regarding Experimental/Exhibition Group 3. Gray area is good sometimes.

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back