Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aero99

just a member, not senior
Anyone flown one of the "New Piper" Saratoga HP or TC's?

Looking for Pros, Cons, maybe a comparision with one and an A36TC?

Best regards.

I have flown a '99 Saratoga II TC. Very nice airplane, only flew it a couple times. It's definitely not as nice or as fast as the Bonanza. I don't really remember exactly what it Trued out at. The interior was very roomy, and comfortable for your passengers. maybe moreso than the A36. I don't know that there were too many cons... It's really a nice airplane. For my money, I'd go with an older model Bonanza. I really like the way a bonanza flies. It's very pilot-friendly, not to mention fast. If you have any specific questions, I'll answer them, or talk to the acquaintance who owns "Sara" and get more info.

I'm a big fan of the Bonanzas, but climbed around in Saratoga last weekend. Seemed much more plush for the passengers, but lacked that "Bonanza" cockpit feel.

Speeds about 30 kts slower, with same payload.

Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I used to fly a TC for a guy in Texas. I loved the avionics the most - avidyne display, traffic watch, and App. Cert. GPS. I have also flown many Beech models and agree with most people that the Bonanza is a superior aircraft to a Saratoga. But then again, a new Bonanza is about $100G's more, give or take.

That being said, watch your leaning techniques. I assume you have the digital EGT like I did, it can lag a bit during mixture changes and you can overtemp the engine without meaning to. Make sure you follow the POH's recommendation for power reductions/engine cooling during the initial descent. It's been over 2 years but I think it's no more than 1' EGT per second cooling until you get it below 300' (Don't quote me) then you can do what you want with the power as long as you don't go above 300' EGT. Same thing after landing; it needs 3 minutes or so at low RPM's to keep cool oil flowing into the turbo-charger, less you wear out the bearing otherwise.

I liked the airplane a lot. I flight planned at 165 TAS, which was a little on the low side most of the time, but worked pretty well. Fuel burn at cruise is ~20-22 GPH (Again, don't quote me) which gives you a nice 4 hour airplane plus reserve. Again, take care of the turbo-charger and it will take care of you. The only thing I didn't like about it is Piper's "Service". Phooey - 3 weeks to get parts, constant sqawks, aggravating little things, and nothing but excuses from them. If I sold someone a $380,000 airplane I'd make sure the beast was going to work right most of the time, enough said. Have fun.

Latest resources

Back