Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Experience Shortage

pilotyip said:
Air Inc provides an excellent forum, about 1/3 of our pilots come from the Air Inc. system because we get to see the guys and talk to them before we bring them in for the interview. .................................................................................... Pilots who avoid using thier services are missing some great opportunities to sell themselves and find out what is going on in the market. Kit Darby does a great job. It is $200 well spent for the latest from the mouth intelligence out there. We will be there in July and hiring.

You seem to be refering to the AirInc, Job Fairs. After reading some of your archived posts's, I assume that you are actually involved in hiring at your company. Considering that, I will accept your assertion that the AirInc job fairs are worthwhile.

However, I must call you on the overall tone of the post. You defend Kit Darby because of his job fairs in a string that was discussing the propoganda that he spreads that some consider detrimental to the profession. You're mixing apples and oranges. If you can defend his continuous propoganda, I welcome it. Defending other areas is just a red herring.

aka bubba

I have to agree with most on this board, NO Pilot Shortage in the 14 years I've been flying. I also agree it all goes in cycles. There may be times where it is difficult for some regionals to find highly qualified prospects but there will always be more aplicants than positions.

As far as the current industry crisis, it will pass. The Captain I was flying with the weekend after Sept 11 put it this way. "Every decade there is a major crisis that adversly effects our industry. In the 70's it was the oil embargo, the 80's it was the Patco stike and deregulation, the 90's had the Gulf War and ensuing recession, now we have 9-11. It is all cyclical and will pass."

I'm not making light of the situation or of those on furlough (many are very good friends). I'm just offering a perspective given me by a Captain that had been around a very long time.

Regards.

I will have to disagree with everybody out there about the pilot shortage. Every airline out there has a pilot shortage. It is true. In fact there is a shortage at every single flight school, cargo outfit, and airline out there.

With me standing at 6'1" I am not part of the pilot shortage, but I know that they exist. In fact walking through MEM I saw a really short Northwest pilot. He was walking tall (figure of speech) and proud. We all must stop denying the short pilot existance. They are people too. They can do the job of a tall guy, like myself, and some times even do a better job. I think that it takes courage to move your seat to the full forward position and to take lip from the flight attendant on "who let the kid upfront to fly the airplane".

For all of you short pilots out there. I am with your you. I do not deny your existance and I will be here until we win this fight.

"Short people got ... no reason ...
... short people got ... no reason ...
... short people got ... no reason to live!"

:D

An American singer/songwriter named Randy Newman had a pop hit in the '70's called "Short People". The post by Sankum is a reference to the lyrics.

Simon Says said:
I think that it takes courage to move your seat to the full forward position and to take lip from the flight attendant on "who let the kid upfront to fly the airplane".

For all of you short pilots out there. I am with your you. I do not deny your existance and I will be here until we win this fight.

Thanks! :D

.... from all 5'2" of me! LOL

Short Pilots v. Pilot "Shortage"

I'm not exactly Shaquille O'Neal myself, so I appreciate these comments.

All the pilot apps I ever saw said that applicants had to have height "sufficient to operate all controls." I guess that was the airlines' way of weaseling around the ADA, etc. That's a subjective judgment. It is totally bogus and discriminatory.

I knew a young lady who was washed out of UPT. AFA grad. Very sharp person who could fly. Very formidable person and personality as well. She said the AF booted her because her legs could not reach the rudder pedals of a T-38. While I didn't doubt her, I have a feeling that other factors might have entered into her washing-out.

I knew a young man who was an AF officer. Also an AFA grad. This fellow could really fly the airplane. He wasn't accepted into UPT because he was too short. He probably was. But, it had no impact on his ability to pilot an airplane.

Go figure. One theory I heard is the public doesn't want to see short pilots, but tall, erect specimens. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Short pilots

I have flown for many years with a man who owns a single engine plane. He has been a corporate pilot, and has flown many different aircraft types. He is only about 5' tall, but his skill, knowledge, and talent for flying rises far taller than his actual height. I enjoy flying with him the most out of anyone with whom I have flown.

It's a shame that the USAF had to lose out on some fine pilots and officers over their heights. It's not THAT hard to get a plane adjusted to accomodate shorter height! My friend's Cardinal's seats are modified by being able to go a bit more forward.

Public image should not be a sufficient reason to not hire a pilot just because he or she is short

:rolleyes:

Kilomike

Didn't I read somewhere that shorter people are less prone to G-Lock? Less leg area for the blood to go and hide in, I think.

>>Go figure. One theory I heard is the public doesn't want to see short pilots, but tall, erect specimens.

Careful, Bobby! They'll start filtering out the message board on the Cyber Sitter software! :D

Latest resources

Back