Pilot Rest Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XNav

A pilot is released from duty at midnite.

The company calls him in his hotel room at 0730 the next morning to move him up to an earlier flight with a report at 0930.

Does the phone call constitute an interruption of crew rest per the FAR's? (Part 121, two pilot crew)

No, if you answer the phone, it is leagle under part 121. You should take a look at your contract and any side letters that may have something more stringent. Additionally, your ALPA guide to crew rest (if you are ALPA and even have one) also has a paragraph concerning your exact question. Dont know for sure, but I think you could probably download the file from their web site www.alpa.org Hope that helps.

It's a yes and no answer. Yes, in the technical sense that you were interrupted from your required rest. According to FAR 121.471 (e) you are not to be assigned any duty during any required rest period.

However, there is a loophole that most schedulers like to use. And the basic principle behind it is this....you answered the phone. You're not required to be in contact with the company during your rest period, however they just "happened" to get in touch with you.

In your situation, you had already been given a duty assignment for later in the day, so you're not really accepting a different duty assignment with the earlier flight. It's kind of a "touch and go" method of duty assignment, however it is legal. (forgive the metaphor) Next time just don't answer the phone until your required rest is up.

Never answer the phone while your in the room!!!! I guess everyone has to get burned at least once before they learn their lesson. I take the phone of the hook so good luck getting in touch with me.

the airmidwest FOPM states that any required phone call should be brief and as least disruptive to the pilots rest. yes its legal to call you.

When you get released at midnight, and are in the Motel/Hotel room, unless you have given out your Phone number to a famly member, a call at 7:30 AM is not going to be news that you want to here. I personally pack a few alarms, (so I don't have to rely on a wake up call), and unplug the phone until I get up. My family has my cell, my company does not. It only took once to come up with a plan. Most ALPA contracts include a clause that states that interuptions to rest are kept to a min.

Smoking Man

Latest resources

Back