Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCAPT

Livin' the...dream?
Just curious what some of you have to say about your lifestyle at USA Jet. From what I've it looks pretty intense, but the pay seems to be descent. Is it a place a guy could hang his hat for the long haul? When you get some seniority will it give you a descent family life? Is it stable, or is it a furlough waiting to happen? How does the schedule work? Do you bid lines? Any info helps. Thanx.

Hi!

Here's a summary. I'll PM U the details.

-121 airline, with the Falcons waived to operate -135.

They have furloughed in the past, but it's more stable that PAX.

Everyone starts as FO on the Falcon 20. Currently, after about a year you can bid to be FO on the -9, or Falcon capt.
Base Pay:
Falcon FO $33K
-9 FO $36K (they will make substantially more than a Falcon FO because of increased loading pay and higher pay if you sell a day off)
Falcon Capt $50+K
High-end -9 pay is about 100K. Pre 9-11 some guys made over $150K.

28 Day Bid Cycle: Falcons 10 hard days off, -9 12 hard days off.
Exception: -9 PAX pilots 6/4/6/4/6/4/6/4, etc.
You bid on schedules:
10 off, 2 blks of 5, 1 blk 4-1 6, 3/3/4. The lines vary and go by seniority. The scheduler is flexible and will work with you.
Most holidays off, as the auto factories are shut down.

25" call out in YIP for the Falcon, a little longer on the -9. You either need to live close, have a crashpad, or come in when you're near the top of the rotation.

Maintenance is good. If you tell them the plane is broken, they fix it, or bring in another aircraft. I recently told the dispatcher I wouldn't take off until they got the main runway cleared due to surface conditions. He said "OK". I waited around about 5 hours for them to clear it, and then I was sent home and replaced by another fresh crew to do the trip.

Captains have to deal with a lot on the road, as there's no "Delta Airlines" base or ground crew to meet you. It's more like a fractional or corporate in that way. Overall, Flight Following is good-they do your flight plans, give you support-similar to a "real" -121 airline.

Training and standardization is pretty good. If you're from a -135 single pilot op, it seems almost unbelievable. If you're from a major or the AF it seems a little lax, but definitely doable.

Training is about 2 months + IOE. Lots of systems, CPT, 4 sims and a check @ Flight Safety-Dallas. USAJ uses it's own instructors.

The pilot mix is interesting. -135 single pilot, major furloughees, military-mostly RW/FW, some guys are in the guard/reserve, foreign pilots, 2 women out of about 100.

I was AF, TSA a variety of non-flying jobs, and USA Jet. I like USAJ the best.

Cliff
YIP

Qol

You will wear a pager every hour not in rest or on days off. When the pager calls you go flying any time of any day. That is kind of good news, bad news thing. The good news the flying is neat, you are always going to new places, trips change in flight to new destinations, new loads, but bad news is you do not know when you are going to go or when you will come back, except for days off. If you are looking for QOL, it probably does not fit the industry standard of QOL. We have many career employees, most making in the $80K to $150K ranges. You make the top dollars by selling your days off. Pilots who live local are home about 20 days per month, of course many of those days are in an "available status.

Last edited:
QOL - Part II

Having left USA Jet some time ago, I can make some additions to the above.

:cool: Expect well maintained aircraft (for this sector of aviation), decent pay if you go over garauntee (sp?), and only somewhat abusive management. Remember, this is a job as an alternative career track for a lot of young guys coming up through the ranks. As an alternative to a regional job - it's very good. Training is outstanding - I left for a major airline and found it to be comparable. If the Falcon is your first jet, you will be brought up to speed well. You will be paid significantly more than a regional pilot, but for good reason. You will work exceptionally long hours, and have to load and unload your own freight.

If you're an experienced hand, it's brutal - quality of life is poor if not nonexistant. Management expects you to leave to another outfit in an economy-based "short time". If things are going well, not that long. If things are as they were two years ago, quite a while. Consequently, you are expendable, an item which they will use up, similar to engine parts or fuel. Expect to be treated as such. Recently, I've heard they've gotten better, but days off were a luxery to be granted at their convenience. When dispatched for a trip - and they're not kidding about show in 25, block in 45 - you may be gone for four hours or six days.

Either way, the job has it's ups and downs. One other thing - the crewmembers I remember are terrific - I still keep in touch with several of the guys I flew with.

If you were looking to hang your hat for the long haul the -9 would the plane of choice. The falcon is more of a young person's airplane because you do load your own freight. The pay is better compared to a commuter or regional gig. But like any job it is what you make of it You just have to remember that you took the job, and realize what you are getting yourself into. Plus the pilots here are a great group of individuals.

Last edited:
Well, ummm, Rich, I mean Buckeye -

No, it sounds about the same - they'd "on occasion" pay us to load the freight on the DA20 - about once in 50 times. Any time someone (very occasionally) griped about it, they'd trot out the same company line about getting paid for it. Been there, heard it, got the tee shirt.

And yes, I did fly the -9 also, and you are correct - that's closer to a long-term position. However, first you have to survive the Falcon time. Also, it was rare to have to load cargo in the -9.

Don't get me wrong - I don't intend to trash the company at all. I have very fond memories of working there. However, I would tell people thinking about applying to KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SIGNING ON FOR. This is not an easy job, even in a sector of flying known for not being easy.

Hi!

He's not Rich-an easy mistake though.

Now, we get loading pay in the Falcon if it's loose over 900 lbs., or if you have any skid over 1250#. You call in for pay, and if they don't give it to you, you don't load/unload. You MAY also get pay if it's an unusual situation-difficult load, etc. on a case-by-case basis. It IS easier to get loading pay in the -9.

Cliff
YIP

I'm surprised you can upgrade to the -9 that quickly. What's the quickest path to the left seat of the -9? DA20 PIC or -9 SIC? What do the upgrade times look like on the DA20? -9?
Are there any other bases or is everything out of YIP?

Hi!

Currently, about 1 year in the Falcon, then a year seat-lock (may be waived) and Falcon Capt. You need 500 MEJet (and 100 -9 time) to upgrade to -9 Capt. I'd guess about 2 years as a Falcon Capt, and then -9 capt.

As you know things change-I would say the above timeline is max optimistic. THE base is YIP (there used to be an ELP base).

CLiff
YIP

Latest resources

Back