Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Responses to above

Good points, Enigma and FlynMonkeys.

Hey, Pub, which programs have been cut back at the Academy?

Last I heard, the complete CIME and SE programs are going. I heard from an unimpeachable source the place is acquiring the Seminoles, as I said above, and has purchased new Arrows to replace the Mooneys.

I can believe it if the foreign airline contract biz is down, but I've heard the place is doing fine and survived the 911 rumors just fine.

Stay AWAY from Gulfjoke- They are pretty much the "laughing stock" of this industry, I have never heard one positive comment about those people there. IF you choose to go there then you will be causing more trouble for yourself then you could ever have imagined that will last a career. Read "all" the threads concerning Gulfjoke and you will see that the facts speak for themselves.- bottom line-

FSI- you could never go wrong, one of the more highly respected flight institutions in the world with a solid proven track record. However with the limited hiring presently at the airlines you may want to consider an "alternative" that can save you lotsa money such as instructing at a smaller FBO since their is really no rush right now till the airlines and economy recover and a postive aspect of doing this is you will be able to "network" which will/can open an opportunity for a right seat 135 gig..- food 4 thought.

You have "ALL" your credentials so why pay more for a "long shot" at something versus instructing and letting time take its course.??

If I were you I would continue to be patient, instruct, and before you know it a pretty good opportunity will present itself. I was in your position not too long ago so I know what you are feeling BUT enjoy each and every step along the "long road" to your goals since once you achieve your goals you will be limited to your "free time" to be able to instruct- enjoy it "instructing" I found was a really rewarding experience.

cheers-

Bobbysamd

Bobby,

They pretty well killed the New Hire pProgram at Vero and sent everybody on there way, some good people.

I can understand the dislike of PFT around here but not the go wait in instructing. You have to have a mind set and want to do that.

As a recent FSI grad, I can vouch for the fact that it is an excellent school. However, if you are interested in instructing there, there are 50+ FSI-trained CFIs waiting for a slot to open up and i don't think they'll be looking at non-FSI pilots for quite some time. There is no longer a bridge program to ASA. There is a multi-crew training course which involves king air and SAAB 2000 sim time, but it's about$25K.
I haven't heard many good things about Pan Am but I have been told by some Pan Am students that things are a little rough there right now and I heard a rumor (only a rumor!) that they lost their part 141 certification.
Good luck

-j

O-T-S hiring

Definitely, a lot depends on need. I just wanted to mention that every job I got in aviation was off-the-street, including Riddle, FSI, Mesa PD and a couple of others. All were CFI jobs. Networking and inside contacts always help, but you can be hired from the outside. Don't forget, right place at the right time, (respectful) persistance, and with luck being a major player. If you can drop a name in a cover letter, that can help, but is not necessary.

Once again, leave materials with someone when you're in the neighborhood.

Just before I went to Sun n Fun to relax and canvass flight schools for a new instructing job (one that actually had some flight students..) I spoke with Allan Holland, the Chief Instructor at FSI, and while at Lakeland I called Connie Fillipe in their office, to get the latest news.

Allan had said that there was a possibility of hiring "sometime in the second quarter", and Connie said that while that could happen, she thought it unlikely. So, for the near term, no jobs for outside instructors at FSI.

Make some calls. I did find some smaller Florida schools that seemed interested. The trick will be finding a school where you can teach multi engine. That's the only economical way to build time and experience that will eventually help you to get a job. In about 10 months, I may need an SIC for the Lear...but multi time in IFR will be a plus, just like it was for me.

Also, find some schools using Google and climb to 350. Stick all the sites in Favorites, and start calling and faxing. Ask if they know a school who IS hiring, if they are not. I have a folder of faxes I sent. It's almost 1/2 inch thick, and that only took three months.

Be persistent!

timebuilder

Timebuilder,

What do climbto350 or Google have to do with it. What am I missing.

The one area that we are agreed, I think, is that other than the multi instructing, boring holes in 172 not going to do much for career.

172 Hole Boring

True, Pub, but you've got to start somewhere. You can still teach plenty of instruments in singles and get some great real-world IFR experience (and log actual!), especially down your way in Florida.

Singles are a stepping-stone in the schools I've known. But, yes, you need to get into the multis, and the sooner the better. It seemed that I waited forever to get into the multis at Riddle in '89. It seemed forever to me; in reality, I was upgraded after eight months. Then, I had multi students coming out of my ears. It just takes persistance, time, and patience.

Re: timebuilder

publisher said:
Timebuilder,

What do climbto350 or Google have to do with it. What am I missing.

Come now, you know what he means. Google and climbto350 are a way to gather information, on potential employers, utilized by those who don't want to pay someone else for having gathered the names/numbers/addresses.

:)
8N

He has your answer, pub.

I built a large group of potential employers by searching for schools and openings. Looking for openings on climbto... and searching for schools using the google search engine made the task easier.

Tough day?

Latest resources

Back