Pft Help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jlarocca

I am a senior at the University of Illinois. I have been instructing while going through school for the past 7 months and now I have a decision coming up as I am about to graduate. What do I do know? I am taking a trip to FL in a few weeks to look at Pan Am, Gulfstream Academy, Flight Safety, and Airline Training Academy. What is everyone's opinion on these schools and PFT in general. I don't want to make a career ending decision before I get my career started! Any comments or concerns are appreciated. Thanks.

chicks don't dig beta!

chicks don't dig beta!
Anyway, FlyChicaga thanks for the info on Gulfstream. I have done alot of research tonight on this web forum as well as at Jetcareers.com. Your opinion seems to be right on with everyone elses.
It would be great to have people respond who have first hand experience with these flight academies. This is a large chunk of change to go to these places. I have pretty much ruled out Gulfstream now but I am still curious about FSI, ATA, and Pan Am.
Please respond! ANY info will really help!

... and if you do a little more surfing you'll rule out ATA, as well. With FSI ... you will NEVER go wrong ... whether you're learning there or teaching there.

Minh

Let me give you a thought...

In this economic climate it may be unwise to spend all that money for an accelerated program when not too many airlines are hiring.
You may be better off getting a low pressure instructor gig somewhere (maybe U of I) to ride it out. That's what I'd do right now.

postings

There are ample postings and discussion all over this board on the subject of pft.

In the examples you gave, only one is even PFT, that being Gulfstream Academy,

The others are all legitimate schools with programs that have positive and negatives. While you are in the area, you mise well go by ComAir Academy and TAB Express as well.

One point I would make is this. People say airlines are not hiring right now and that for the most part is still true. That of course, assumes that you are hell bent for an airline career and employment right now. It ignores all the other type of flying jobs like corporate and fractionals which continue to hire.

By the time you go through some of these programs, there will be additional opportunities but the fact is that students from these programs I have listed have been hired and are in classes now at airlines.

Your future success will depend on one thing more than any school or program you come from, mainly you.

Good luck to you

P-F-T and FSI

As Publisher said, there is abundant discussion on P-F-T. The long and short of it, in my .02 opinion, is don't demean yourself and set yourself up for resentment down the road by P-F-T'ing.

Don't feel that you're in a rush, either. You don't need an accelerated program. Frankly, if I were you, I'd stay the course. You'll build the time you need soon enough to be qualified for the commuters - and for ALL commuters, not just the P-F-T'ers. Try to get in the multis as soon as you can. Sometimes, all things indeed cometh to he who waiteth (while he worketh like hell while he waiteth).

I'm not sure why you're asking about schools, inasmuch as you've finished your ratings. Just the same, you asked for first-hand experience about flight academies, and I can tell you a little about FlightSafety. I instructed there ten years ago and I realize things change, but not that much. The place is expensive, but offers excellent training and opportunities for its graduates. When I worked there instructors were treated terribly. Management has changed since then, and I hear pay is better and working conditions are better. The place is purchasing new Seminoles, to augment an already large, excellent and well-maintained fleet. The place does offer good benies, including heath and a 401-K. I've heard the place is not hiring and there is a pool. Still, it never hurts to visit, if you'll be there anyway, and to leave a resume.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your plans.

Snakum

I'm curious about why you said you can never go wrong with FSI. Can you tell me more about your experience there?
Thanks for replying. I may have most of my ratings but my experience with the "real world" is still very limited!

Bobby

Flight Safety is the largest and strongest of the flight schools, they have however cut back on many of their programs since the 11th.

Even Bobbysamd says get to the multi as fast as possible and to some extent that is the single hardest and most important time to get, PIC multi engine turbine time.

At job fairs as example, I do not even ask total time. PIC multi and then turbine are the things that need addressed.

Forgetting the arguments for a moment on PFT in the specific, the thing that Gulfstream, TAB, ComAir and others have going is the airline mentality. The aircraft you are dealing with have systems and procedures that you will use in any of the corporate, fractional, regional, or major airlines.

The instruction that you will get in ground school is as important as the flight time and you should spend as much time checking out that aspect of any program you consider as looking at aircraft. In addition to the ones mentioned, ATP, ATA, RAA and others have the equipment. Look for who is teaching and the ground school systems training material they have avialable.

Gulfstream isn't PFT it's PFJ. "pay fo Job" Stay away from them...sure if you go there and fork over the 25k you'll get some turbine time, but you'll also get laughed at.

DON'T

jlarocca said:
What is everyone's opinion on these schools and PFT in general. I don't want to make a career ending decision before I get my career started! Any comments or concerns are appreciated. Thanks.

Never pay for a job. It degrades your choosen profession and undermines your future earning potential.

Your wording leads me to believe that you are looking at these places in hopes that they will enable you to buy an airline job. Don't do it.
If you are looking at them as places of employement in of themselves, I say that any dollar earned honorable is OK, just don't pay them for a job. Please!!!!!

Bottom Line. Until we pilots start respecting our profession enough to demand professional treatment, we are doomed to be treated like slaves. If you doubt that anyone in the industry is treated like slaves, I encourage you to look into such things as "stand-up overnights" and 21 day reserve schedules. Or look into living on a leash (pager) like most corp/charter pilots.
regards

8N

Latest resources

Back