• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part 61 Checkrides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting insight, ILLINI. I have no experience with the self-examining authority procedures. That sounds like what Sean could have meant. Thanks.

141 stage checks

I second Jaybird on all his points. Your 141 school must have self-examining authority for a bust on your final stage check not to show up in the FAA's file. Your final stage check for a flight course is your checkride. The 8710 documenting issuance of your graduation certificate will appear in your file.

If your 141 school does not have self-examining authority, you will still take a final stage check for a flight course and be issued a graduation certficate. Then, you take the certficate, a completed 8710 and your properly endorsed and signed-off logbook to a DE and take a practical. Bust it, and it goes in
your FAA file.

When I started at Riddle-Prescott, we were 141 and had just lost self-examining authority. We sent students to DEs for their practicals. We got self-examining back and no longer had to send students to DEs. But we still had to put all the same signoffs in their logbooks. I counted my passes and failures the same way as Part 61, which satisfied FSDO at CFI renewal time.

I went to FSI in Vero and it was a virtual repeat of Riddle; the difference being that FSI had not had self-examining authority before.

The long and short of it is Part 61 busts will show up, but whether they'll affect your hiring chances just depends. People bust rides and get hired. Bust too many rides and your chances diminish. Checkride success or failure is not the only criterion recruiters use when hiring pilots.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
141 FYI

Just in case anyone is curious: The amount of previous NON-141 time you can count toward a 141 program is 25% OF THE 141 SYLLABUS. i.e. If a Private 141 syllabus has 35 hours in it, you can receive up to 8.75 hours of credit in the syllabus. If you have 8.75 hours total time, you can count all of it. If you have 270 total time, you can count 8.75 hours of it.

If you have previously attended a part 141 school, and are transferring to another part 141 school, you can receive credit for up to 50% of the new school's syllabus.

Also, just to be clear, some people seem to think that only collegiate programs or very large schools are 141. There are many many local FBO's that are certified part 141 schools. Just FYI...

Yes Brian is correct. Don't let them fool you by telling you that you now need to fly as much as possible to build your hours if your going to continue on with your commercial. It happened to one of my friends. He continued part 141 and they told him to build hours by renting. Well, you guessed it none of those hours transfered. At least he got the experience though.

Went to ATP

I went to ATP so I can provide you with the type of perspective you are looking for. I finished ATP in 80 days with all my ratings and no busts. But, there was another person there who busted all but 2 rides (so, 4 out of 6 he busted). I think if you bust one or two you are alright, when it gets to be more than that is when you should start being concerned when you go for an interview. ATP runs a great program. If there were people consistently failing then word-of-mouth would get around and no would be shelling out $25,000 to go there (get my drift?). It is the best way to do it and it is a lot of fun if you get the right instructor.

Jaybird, I feel your friend's pain. I worked at a 141 school, and I was always honest with our students. You will hear schools tell you that under part 61, you need 250 for the commercial, and under 141 you only need 190. This is a half-truth. That 190 hour comes from adding together the MINIMUM part 141 syllaubs hours for Private (35), Instrument (35), and Commercial (120) ALL of these hours must be completed in a 141 syllabus. If you have 160 hours, and an instrument rating, the MINIMUM total time you could complete your commercial in under part 141 would be 250 hours. This assumes you recieve the 25% credit for previous experience. Another common example: If you have 100 hours and NO instrument rating, you will most likely have at LEAST 225 hours before you get your commercial. Also, consider that a 141 commercial syllbabus if BORING and repetitive. (120 hours to learn 3 new maneuvers) Under 61, you can have a lot more fun, go on some sweet cross countries, you will do less dual instruction, and probably save some money. I'm in no way bashing 141, just trying to tell people to investigate their options carefully, and watch out for the sunshine that schools will blow at you. Many people have 200 hours before they start their commercial, and it would be downright foolish to complete a commercial under 141 under those circumstances. Especially considering that a 141 school is capable of abbreviating the syllabus and doing your training under 61 to avoid spending too much of your money. You get the same quality, but better suited to your needs. Many schools won't tell you this (for obvious reasons.)

Latest resources

Back