Paperless Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetPilot500

Just wondering if anyone is using any of the paperless cockpit systems out there. I would be real interested in hearing about your experiences.

* Are they easy to use?
* Cumbersome in the cockpit?
* FAA legality?

I know gulfstream has certified a unit for the G-IV, but what about the other systems like these: http://www.paperlesscockpit.com

If they are not FAA certified, can you still use them legally?

Just wondering cuz we are thinking about doing something at my operation.

Thanks,
Jetpilot500

I flew in a paperless cockpit in my former companies Sabre 65. I did all the reasearch into the purchising of the unit and the applicable FAR's.

I can answer from a part 91 stand point. All you need is applicable representation of the approach. That means that a napkin works so long as it is based on current data. We used the Fitichu touchscreen computer from Approach View in Houston, TX they are the company that imports them into the US and are $1000's LESS then any one else in the market.

I loved it, it cut down on the weight of charts in our aircraft and the updating time. All you use is your Jepp View CD. The agreement I believe says that you'll only us one CD per Aircraft.

As far as a 135 reg. I THINK (repeat I THINK) Flight Options had a letter from the FAA to try out the paperless cockpit and it has sence been resended. I THINK.

We installed a 110ac outlet in our cockpit to keep the computer pluged in during flight and therefore fully charged. When you left the aircraft is the good news is you had a regular computer; complete with modem and Windows. I used it to go online and keep my log book up to date. The computer has an infrared sensor on it that you can use to comunicate with a printer.

I hope that answers any of your questions.

I loved the unit, it worked flawlessly.

You want Approach View and talk with John Navratil or Jim Frost. If you want for $200.00 you can try a unit for one week (the $200 goes to purchase price if you buy inside of 30 days).

The unit was $3500 if I remember correctly. You get rid of all your full service Q service for the country and just get the disk and the eroute charts and save $500/yr on charts (we had Q servive for US, S. Amer, C. Amer, Can/Alaska). FYI Jepp. makes serious profits on the CD's (much more then they do on the paper) and wants to go all paperless if they can.

www.approachview.com

We have 6 citations and have a fuji box in each airplane. Each box has it own battery and is also connected to the ships power by a power plug. There were a couple issues. In the dark the screen was to bright on its lowest dim and in the bright sun its hard to see on its brightest dim. Also the screens are fragile. We have sent two units back to fuji. (Make sure you get the extended warranty) We are part 91 so it is legal for us. Options was flying with two in each airplane. Personally, I like the fact that my charts are 100% current all the time. But, I dont like the fact that the box's are not as easy to view as papper. A lot of our pilots print the charts they need before dep. (Just in case)

Greetings...

I was in the jumpseat of an Alaska 737 and the Captain was using a Northstar CT1000G. He loved it although I have no idea about the legality of it for 121 ops...sure looked nice to me though :)

TF

Latest resources

Back