P-3 Water injection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

Coming out of Sangley Point for an alert launch to cover Yankee Station, 1969, P-3A BuNo 151363, T-56-10W's, Actual TOW round 132,000, this is on an airframe with a published MGTOW of 127,500. Wing stores you know, paraflares on four stations, full fuel, “C” ASW load just in case we found a sub on Yankee Station. We need every inch of that 8000' runway on a 95-degree day. At 95kts water injection fails, B pump goes out. We drop down to really low SHP, and are 6,000' feet down this runway at around 100 Kts with rotate in 130 range. We stagger into the air and it will not climb, we are headed straight into Manila Int'l, slowly accelerating at about 50’ in ground effect, we finally turn and get the flaps up. Water injection could be exciting.

Thank goodness you didn’t have anything to climb over in front of you.
In my line of work, short runways is the only thing that really causes me concern anymore. The planes have gotten bigger, but the strips haven’t.

Thank goodness you didn’t have anything to climb over in front of you.
In my line of work, short runways is the only thing that really causes me concern anymore. The planes have gotten bigger, but the strips haven’t.
One of the beauties of being based near the ocean.

One of the beauties of being based near the ocean.

Andersen AFB (Guam) had a cliff, over which an overloaded BUFF would sometimes disappear. Having gained a few more precious knots, it would slowly rise in a cloud of its own black smoke. :erm:

It’s hard to imagine any airplane with 8 engines being “thrust challenged” lol!

Couple of jobs ago I had a classmate who was a recovering BUFF driver. Gave him plenty of gas for the dreaded seven engine approach and the horror of contemplating a seven engine go around.

Latest resources

Back