• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

oops...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You make a false comparison. You're saying that a developing economy that was New York City of the 19th century is different than the mature economy it is today... yeah, sorry.. that is true.

But we have 6 times the people living in the US than we did then. As population grows, things will need to get more and more interconnected, much to the chagrin of you 1880s nostalgiaists. (That damn government, taking away my cheap, child labor -- HOW DARE THEY!)

As far as bribes go, the US is pretty good comparatively. You decry government, but take for granted the stability it provides. You want limited government? Try Somalia. I hear at that place you can do whatever you want without the government breathing down your neck!

The comparison is valid. It has nothing to do with what year it is. I cannot start something like a ferry service through free enterprise because the governenment would create most of the barriers that I could not overcome through better service, but by paying off the right people.

Try to start an airline that serves a competitve market. The airport won't lease you gates, won't give you landing slots, and no doubt the FSDO will drag its feet on the certification process. The local Congressmen will also lead the charge against you saying your airlineis unsafe or causes too much noise, until you can offer him or her more money than the other airlines, then all of a sudden everything runs smoothly. (See Jet Blue going to Islip)

THe rest of what you said about child labor and Somalia is nonsense. Wake up will ya! The more power you place in the hands of the government, the more corrupt it will become.

Last edited:
Poor AirCobra. You just told me I was wrong, didn't explain why, and made up another hypothetical scenario.

If this were a debate, you just lost.

Poor AirCobra. You just told me I was wrong, didn't explain why, and made up another hypothetical scenario.

If this were a debate, you just lost.

I think we have all lost. It seems you accept the corruption by saying "well its worse in Somalia". It's all pay to play, that is why small companies often can't make headway against large corporations. They just don't have the money to buy government influence. I can't fathom why think the government should have more power. What should we just accept the way things are?

As far as the debate goes, you won't answer the questions about what would happen if tried to start a business like an airline or ferry service, because you know I am right. How about zoning laws? Why do some businesses get exemptions? Do you own a house? If your parents wanted to move onto you land could you build a house for them. I bet you would not be able to get a permit. I could go on and on. Yes things are different but population growth has nothing to do with having to payoff the government to start a buisness.

Last edited:
The comparison is valid. It has nothing to do with what year it is. I cannot start something like a ferry service through free enterprise because the governenment would create most of the barriers that I could not overcome through better service, but by paying off the right people.

Try to start an airline that serves a competitve market. The airport won't lease you gates, won't give you landing slots, and no doubt the FSDO will drag its feet on the certification process. The local Congressmen will also lead the charge against you saying your airlineis unsafe or causes too much noise, until you can offer him or her more money than the other airlines, then all of a sudden everything runs smoothly. (See Jet Blue going to Islip)

THe rest of what you said about child labor and Somalia is nonsense. Wake up will ya! The more power you place in the hands of the government, the more corrupt it will become.

"Trying to understand." "Just asking questions."

Latest resources

Back