Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

marpoo

hey all,

i was wondering if some of you would be able to tell me of some correspondence (sp?) schools that enable you to get a 4 year degree. something in the science field would be good. any info including prices, quickest possible completion time, requirements etc. i would really appreciate some help here.

thanks

matt

I second Avbug. I needed to finish up my degree and I looked everywhere. ERAU would take most credit transfers I already had and also credited my ATP and 500hrs of dual given.

Beware of scam schools out there. They will give you a degree in two weeks if you slide them a couple thousand dollars, but the degree is not accreditted.

The price for ERAU is about $500 for a 3 credit class, and that includes the book.

To answer your question about completiong times...

Embry Riddle offers a new term every month...you can take four classes each term (actually you can take more but the counselors will discourage you). Plus, you can take some of the general education courses concurrently through community colleges.

I started my degree with ERAU in November 2000 and finished it in December 2001. I took 63 units in that period of time. It was difficult while working fulltime - I had to bid reserve a couple of months and had to buy a laptop that I took on all my overnights. Couldn't go out with the other crews as much as I wanted to, and it cost me about $8000. But, I have the degree now. If you want quick and good, and can afford it, go ERAU. There is also Utah Valley State College. I tried them but they kept giving me the runaround about when all the required courses for graduation would be available. My buddy is doing his degree with them now and he says they still don't have all the courses up yet.

Try College of West Virginia, today called Mountain State University in Beckley W.V. Telephone 304-253-7351 or 888-915-2915. Good luck in your endeavours.

Does anyone know where I can get all of my ratings online? Why should I waste my time with an instructor, I figured I can just use MS flight simulator to hurry and build up my hours so I can get my job waiting for me at United. Thanks.

You might want to check out Excelsior. It's America's oldest and largest online university. They are fully accredited, and offer degrees in a variety of subjects. The best part is that you can test out of most or all of the credits if you want. I finished after starting with an associates degree, and it took one year. I think it's the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to earn an accredited degree. It cost me around two grand total. I hear ERAU is much more expensive, takes forever, and is difficult to deal with. I have helped several former ERAU students finish up with Excelsior, and they couldn't be happier. Take a look at Excelsior.edu.

I don't think Excelsior it the nation's largest Online University...
I'm pretty sure University of Phoenix Online is the largest with an enrollment of around 35,000 students.

If you're interested in UOP Online, I would encourage you to check them out. If you're interested in an easy degree with minimal effort, this IS NOT a program for you. You can get a bachelor's or master's totally online, but the classes are intense, and require quite a bit of participation and a significant number of individual and group assignments in each class. Unlike many online programs, you interact daily with class and with your instructor. These are not "correspondance" classes, but are really more like online classrooms.

The downside is they are expensive

I'm trying to do ERAU but I'm getting the typical riddle runaround and have one crappy advisor.....Anybody have any experience with this?
I think once I get in and get my dual given taken care off I'll like it.
I'm also going to see if they'll let me get credits for a ATP if I happen to get that before I get my dual given. I have one more year till I'm 23 and only 400 hours more TT required and about 175 x-c. VS. about 325 dual given. Right now I'm flying banners which builds time much quicker than instructing......

One of the things that is attractive to me is that classes start every 15th of the month so lets say I'm in a month thats a slow flying month or I have an easier class I can finish a class off and start another. I don't have to wait till the end of a three month semester.

Latest resources

Back