Obtaining a second US Passport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JohnnyP

Quick question/situation, dealing with obtaining a second US Passport.

My current situation does/will involve living outside the US during my offtime, while doing contracts in other countries requiring a visa for entry.

Not really wanting to go to my off-time country, and then send my only passport back to the US for my company to get the visa for the next round of contracts, I was tossing around the idea of getting ahold of a second US passport. (they dont usually get multiple entry visas, only single entry)

I read over the State Department passport section online, not much as far as I could see with getting a second one.

I have used an expediting service for getting additional pages, worked well. I'll call them tomorrow, but in the mean time, anyone have any experience with this?....Can you even get a second for a situation like mine?

The idea of going to my offtime country and sending my only passport away FedEx back to the US to get my next visa doesn't sit to well with me.

Thanks for the link.

I actually ran across that same page during my initial search, but was wondering if anyone had actually gotten a second US passport.

As far as I can tell, I meet the initial req's as listed on that link you posted, etc.

If you type in "second passport" or something to the like, most of the stuff is "fast track to russia" stuff, or some other way to fast track your eastern block bride.

I've had a second passport for some time. I applied at an embassy in the country I was living in at the time. The second passport has always been a shorter duration than the first (primary) passport-- initially 2 and recently 5 years.

Explain your situation to the State Department; they will issue the second one for you, it just helps to have found the right person with a sympathetic ear.

I went through this process in September. It was a last minute ordeal which required me to go to the nearest regional passpot office (Chicago) and get it done in person. I needed proof of travel and a letter from my company explaining why I did not have my passport and why a second one was needed. You probably already figured this out by now... Good luck!

Latest resources

Back