NWA update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ogre93

Leaving DCA on Monday morning, we shared a hotel van with a NWA A320 crew. I was able to aksed the FO quite a few questions so here is what he knew. Granted this is all casual conversation stuff so take it as it is. He said the Captain and him were on some ALPA or company website the day before and the word from upstairs is that all furloughs should be back by years end. He said they were continuing to receive 2 A320/319s a month and 10 more 757s this year so the demand for pilots continues to grow. The A330 ares till coming in 2003 and the 727 would probably be around for a few many more years since they are used for charters. The Japan A320 thing is a go and they currently have 3 A320 based there and are loooking to expand it 6 airplanes soon.

Basically what I got out of all this was the airline is still moving forward and growing. Things seem to be rather healthy there and the need for more pilots will be sustained because of retirements and new airplane deliveries. I came away from the conversation with a good feeling and think it might be possible that I could be in class this time next year. Lets all hope for the best.
:D

NWA has to continue to receive new aircraft, with a average age of more than 20yrs on their fleet. I wouldn't automatically assume that means more pilots, they have got alot of old birds to replace.

This info definitely did not come from ALPA or Management. Both have repeatedly said only "official" word is possible recalls 4th quarter.

I think for 2003 the total mainline fleet with grow by a total of nine (A320/19 and 330s).

If Richard Anderson uses the word judicious (i.e., "judiciously adding capacity. . .") one more time, I'm gonna personally puke. I get the point, Richard!!

ogre93 said:
Leaving DCA on Monday morning, we shared a hotel van with a NWA A320 crew. I was able to aksed the FO quite a few questions so here is what he knew. Granted this is all casual conversation stuff so take it as it is. He said the Captain and him were on some ALPA or company website the day before and the word from upstairs is that all furloughs should be back by years end. He said they were continuing to receive 2 A320/319s a month and 10 more 757s this year so the demand for pilots continues to grow. The A330 ares till coming in 2003 and the 727 would probably be around for a few many more years since they are used for charters. The Japan A320 thing is a go and they currently have 3 A320 based there and are loooking to expand it 6 airplanes soon.

Basically what I got out of all this was the airline is still moving forward and growing. Things seem to be rather healthy there and the need for more pilots will be sustained because of retirements and new airplane deliveries. I came away from the conversation with a good feeling and think it might be possible that I could be in class this time next year. Lets all hope for the best.
:D

sounds good to me....... oh yea.. sorry about the Kings man..... should stick with the Blues.:eek:

I agree there's been nothing posted on the company or ALPA website (it seems like I'm an addict checking it every day for some glimmer of hope). Word has been that the company will give a 4 month heads up before the first pilots are back on property. Since we've heard nothing yet, it would seem the earliest we could have anyone back is Sep. They would really have to push people thru NATCO to have 490 guys and gals back by Dec 31st. However, they can save a lot in training costs by bringing everyone back by the end of the year. About half the pilots were furloughed 31 Dec 01, so if we're brought back within a year we only need about 3 days of retraining. More than that I assume we need to go thru the entire DC-9 ground school again, probably closer to 4 weeks.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed. At least the rumors are good ones instead of bad ones.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic BUT, the new aircraft deliveries offset the retirements by just a few. They are accelerating the retirement of the DC-10-40's, and they are dropping the NBA charter operation. That being said the only official word is that they plan to start recalls late 2002. I hope i'm wrong but i don't think you we should be expecting a full recall this year. My guess is this time next year we might pretty much all be back. As previously stated by others they are going to be very conservative with the recalls. I'm hoping for the best but not counting on it.

Let me ask you guys something - on an earlier thread I read that the DC-10-40s were real maintenance hogs. I thought the only difference from the -30s was the Pratt engines. Is that the source of the mx problems? Just curious.

Latest resources

Back