• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB: Sleep aids should be OK in fighting pilot fatigue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sleep is a good thing for sleep, if for some reason you do not get proper rest, call in fatigued. soon the pattern emerges on which pairings are causing problems. if it cost the company money then they will look into it and fix it. if you are the hero and operate tired then you are the problem.

The FAA hasn't changed their stance on sleep medication. What the OP was referring to was an NTSB report that "recommended" that the FAA allow pilots diagnosed with insomnia to use sleep medication under close supervision.

If that's aimed at me: Wrong. Been there, done that.

If something isn't safe, legal or not, don't do it. Problem solved. All the regs in the world aren't going to give you the spine to stand up to your employer and say this ain't gonna' happen.

If not aimed at me: Sorry. Disregard...

I'm just hoping they simply approve sleep for pilots in the new FAR, with longer required overnight rest and allowed naps at cruise.

now that just makes too much sense and costs companies too much money to ever happen.

sleep is a good thing for sleep, if for some reason you do not get proper rest, call in fatigued. soon the pattern emerges on which pairings are causing problems. if it cost the company money then they will look into it and fix it. if you are the hero and operate tired then you are the problem.

I'm an RJ pilot scheduled to fly 94 legs next month, which unfortunately is about the same as every month. If I'm fatigued, I'll call off, but at this point calling out fatigued is for my own and my passengers safety, not to prove a point to the seemingly clueless crew planning dept.

Yep it was and is-
There is a huge difference between short and long term fatigue effects- I often flew schedules that were safe in that moment - but over the long term would have had significant consequences to my health

And I'll bet YOU made changes to your life/schedule to mitigate those consequences and keep YOURSELF within your safety limits. That's all I'm sayin...

The problem with Big Brother stepping in to solve all our problems is that there are always unintended consequences.

Moderator note: two threads were combined regarding this topic.. both were substantially the same info and same members posting..

Please try not to post new threads on the same topic.. there are no points for the most threads started..

thanks CLR4 mod..

Latest resources

Back