Note to self... Don't fly Nigerian air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

Nigerian airliner attempts takeoff after fire.
Associated Press

KANO, Nigeria (AP) - Three days after a fiery plane crash killed 154 passengers and residents of this northern city, a Nigerian airliner twice tried and failed to take off Tuesday despite the fact a wheel caught fire during the first attempt.
Both times, the Freedom Airlines jet taxied down the runway, only to abort the takeoff suddenly after passengers heard grinding noises and flight crew saw smoke and flames rising from one of the wheels, passengers said.

Freedom Airlines refunded air fares to its passengers, some of whom expressed distress at the sight of airline workers using extinguishers to battle the fire for a second time, said Romuald Luyindula, an Associated Press Television News producer.

He was among a number of foreign journalists who had boarded the flight to Nigeria's commercial capital, Lagos, after covering Saturday's crash of a flight of another domestic carrier, EAS Airlines.

The EAS airliner smashed into a crowded suburb of Kano on Saturday, killing 154 people from the plane and on the ground. At least 56 unidentified bodies were buried Monday in a mass grave near the airport.

Some Nigerians have expressed fears about airline safety. The government recently proposed a law banning planes older than 22 years, a move that would ground many of the aging aircraft used by more than a dozen carriers battling for a share of the West African nation's competitive air travel market.

time

For those of us who have had the opportunity to spend time there, you need to know that you will appreciate the h out of your life here if you spend some time there.

I will spare you the details, however, any problems we have with our system pale in compairson.

"If at first you don't succed..."

I find it somewhat "unfair" to stereotype or deem an airline "unsafe" and a hazard to all without having factual documentation and statistics to prove this. This thread appears to be very abbreviated and shortened SO I would be interested in reading the "full" incident report regarding this.- I tend to agree with other posters that the smaller, under-developed countries usually will always get a bad wrap by the media regarding aviation since their always appears to be unfair comparisons being made comparing these countries to much larger ones.

No matter what country you frequent and travel to I would have to say that most of the countries goverments have STRICT guidelines regarding their airlines since their reputation is riding on this as well as the biggest factor of all which would have to be overall "safety" for everyone involved..I am sure these countries MUST have regulations, limitations, and safety measures and procedures that MUST be followed by the crews and everyone at that airline.- IF their were any reason to think an airline would be "unsafe" to fly on then I am quite sure the US of A would make the public well aware of that backing the statement up with "FACTUAL" evidence and documentation.

I am in no way agreeing with what the crew did however I don't think one should pre-judge an airline as a whole and stereotype them "UNSAFE" after reading ONE very abbreviated clip...

cheers

I find it somewhat "unfair" to stereotype or deem an airline "unsafe" and a hazard to all without having factual documentation and statistics to prove this. This thread appears to be very abbreviated and shortened SO I would be interested in reading the "full" incident report regarding this

Find it as unfair as you like.. I posted the "entire" article that I found. I did not shorten the post so it would conform to my idea that this airline is unsafe.

Three aborted take-offs with apparently the same burning tire smell and visible flames each time. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but safety wasn't exactly on the minds of the pilots that day!

If you feel comfortable putting your family on this airline, then go right ahead. Tell me about the experience!

350DRIVER-

Ah. you live in a perfect world. Nigeria has been gripped in a civil war for years now. Just try flying into Lagos sometime and you'll see what I mean. The oil companies don't even let their employees go through customs and immigration when they arrive there because it is too dangorous. Air France has there own French Air Traffic Controllers that come on duty just when an Air France plane lands. And this is the same government that is suppose to oversee airline safety?

right

I spent six months there over a 1 and a half year period involved in leasing and then repossessing aircraft.

One who has not been there cannot comprehend what all the airlines there are like, what the system is like, and what people there deal with daily.

There is no government control of anything, the tickets are sold by touts who accost potential customers as they get out of their car. Your bags are unloaded next to the plane and there are a few hundred people willing to help you carry them.

There is no maintenance support places, every part has to come in from US or Europe, their money is not any good internationally so it is a problem to get parts and supplies. Stealing and bribery are rampant. There is no security and you better bribe the police and customs or you will not be coming or going very quickly.

In short, you would never believe aviation there where an airport can shut down as a navaid broke and no one will go out to fix it except in daylight, or shut because the airport manager had a party to go to.

You can judge them all as the same. It is a mess and why the major international airport in Lagos has been on the State Department list of insecure and unsafe places for years.

Pub-
I will take your word on it since I have never been fortunate enough to vacation there although doesn't appear that I am missing too much after reading your response.

cheers

Latest resources

Back