NOAA or Jep approach plates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

I've used Jep Approach Plates for years. Now, I'm having to buy more areas of the country, which is fine, but the time required to update the binder and frequently used approach plate book is really growing.

I am starting to print out NOAA charts from the websight that a few of you posted on here. I find them very similiar to the Jep with a few differences. I was actually thinking of ordering a book for IL/WI and it was something like under $5 USC???? is that right?

What do you guys/gals use? Pro's/cons of each.... I know with NOAA you pitch the entire book when your new revision arrives, airnet uses Noaa, etc.

Those of you who use NOAA charts, do you tear out your most frequently used charts, do you just rubber band the entire book per each approach used, I prefer to have the approach clipped on the yoke.

Thanks for the info!

If your goal is to work for the airlines, go with Jepp. Get used to reading and revising them now because that's what they all use.

This would be a good poll!:D

I recommend you stay with Jepp.

The main reason is currency. NOAA charts are cheaper but the revision system is cumbersome and they are often out of date. There is little worse than flying an approach in real weather with a chart that is NOT current. You get what you pay for.

Having to make all those revisions is in fact tedious but it comes with the territory. Most professionals fly with Jepps. Almost all airlines in the US use Jepps. There's a reason.

Yes, your chart should be where you can see and refer to it readily during the approach. Committing all that info into memory is not smart.

Good luck and fly safe.

FYI:

"do you just rubber band the entire book per each approach used, I prefer to have the approach clipped on the yoke."

What I meant was with the jep plates I can easily attach each approach to the yoke. If I was using NOAA I'd either tear out the approaches for the day and put them in the yoke clip OR Keep the Noaa book on my knee... like a knee board.

Just wondering what the NOAA guys do.

"The main reason is currency. NOAA charts are cheaper but the revision system is cumbersome and they are often out of date. There is little worse than flying an approach in real weather with a chart that is NOT current. You get what you pay for. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOAA complies with the standard 28 day revision cycle for non-emergency changes to IAP's. Emergency changes are promulugated via FDC notam for both NOAA and Jepp charts. NOAA charts are no more likely than Jepps to be out of date. In fact, unless you personally inventory your Jepps before every flight, NOAA charts are more likely to have up-to-date info and not to be missing pages.

One reason Jepp charts are used by most airlines is because they will tailor coverage for a particular airline. Don't think NOAA offers personalized service. I've used both services and prefer Jepps for the most part. However, if I'm paying for it I'm buying NOAA!

NOAA v. Jepps

I used both and always preferred Jepps. Easier to read and all the info and mins with inop components were in one place.

On the other hand, I never cared that much for Jepp enroute charts. I thought that Government were easier to read.

I prefer Jepps (save the cost) but you can buy NOS plates that fit in a binder. If you look at the back page of any set of plates, there is an order form for both bound and unbound plates.

But, Jepps have the Arrivals and Departures with the airport versus the front of NOS plates. Jepps are more suited for approach briefings than NOS plates. Jepps are revised an airport at a time versus an entire region at a time on NOS plates (bunny huggers love that). And so on, stick with Jepps if you don't mind the cost.

Well, someone has to be a NOAA user...

I always found the NOAA charts to be easier to read, and its a lot easier to keep up with the new charts. ALthough sometimes it can get a little repetetive going to the FBO every 8 weeks, it beats going through every single binder every 2 weeks...

In the long run its cheaper to go with NOAA rather than using the Jepp charts anyways, so I figure why pay more for something that Big Brother is already printing out for me...

Plus I'm a creature of habit, and I'll be using NOAA charts until the feds stop printing them

Latest resources

Back