No Call, Letter Expected

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BlondAmbition

I interviewed the morning of February 4. I know of only 5 that got the call and 1 that got the letter from those of us on the e-mail list we shared. Who else hasn't checked in??

I interviewed on 2/4. I did not get a call this week. I moved after the interview and although I gave my forwarding address and phone number, I suppose they sent the letter to my old address and it still hasn't made it's way here. I am bummed. I suppose I can look on the positive side and know that I saved myself $7,500.

Did anyone get the call who DID NOT have their references checked? I am curious to know who did the drug test prior to the LUV call.

Congrats to all of you. I wish you all the best.

Signed,

Future Lifetime Charter Pilot

Last edited:
Hey kiddo,

While the immediate news doesn't sound favorable, It really ain't over 'till the Fat Lady sings. I've heard storys on these boards of people who got "lost in the shuffle" and had to acutally call the People Dept. to inquire as to why no letter or no call....only to find out that they were supposed to get called.

I know you're on pins and needles, but hang in there a little while longer. If the news is not favorable I think the reapply is 1 or 2 years. I know this board will correct me If i'm wrong.

P.S. Who else would shuttle me to DFW on such short notice....you gotta get in. :)

Know the feeling.

I went through all the same up's and down's last month. To top it off I got the letter on my birthday in March. SWA needs to have a trauma hot line filled with counselors to help out with these emotions. It's hard but after you get the letter you got to pick your self up, dust your self off and get back in the saddle life try again.

Good luck,

Dalleardriver

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if/when I get the letter/call.

RedLeader-Just remember what a sweetie I am for giving you a ride when it comes time for me to reapply!

BA

Blonde Ambition

Blonde Ambition, please don't give up. The ole saying about the fat lady and singing could prove to be true in your case. Stay intouch with SWA People Department and double check to see if they have all your correct information, it could have been that that your new info did not get received.

Very best of luck to you and your career!!

No Letter

Well guys, there was nothing in the mail today, but I think the fact that my LOR's were not checked probably speaks for itself. In fact, the lack of a message this week probably speaks the loudest.

Can anyone give conjecture as to how a pilot might make a subsequent DB from that of his interview classmates?

Just curious.

BA

I was asking a similar question myself today of a SWA pilot.

I was one of those lucky few to recieve "the Letter" this week.

My LOR's and records were called within days of interviewing so I made the mistake of getting my hopes up.

My question: If one of the interviwers gave you a thumbs down would that stop the process right there? Like Blond Ambition, would the LOR's and records checks not happen.

Of course the reason I ask is that I'm trying to isolate the cause of my demise. If I did well enough in the interview for the process to continue then I wonder if there was a negative during my records, background check.

Any ideas?

Blonde Ambition

As far as not being in the same DB as other interviewees.... I interviewed a year ago and waited for weeks as my fellow interviewees with types got their references checked and all the other positive feedback. Finally (3-4 weeks later), my reference checks started and I was on a DB at least a month after my fellow interviewees. I've been in the pool since getting typed in November.

It might be that the typed people get a quicker look. Either way, there was a time difference in my case (with a positive result).

hang in there

As an AF Instructor Pilot, we always have a good laugh when the students sit around 'teaching' the new students who are only 1 month junior to them...with that, and the fact that I'm just a swimmer in the deep end, here is a summary of 8 months of reading this board way too much.:D

BlondAmbition -
I concur with the rest in 'it ain't over, till it's over'.
If you review previous SWA DB posts, you will see that there have been multiple cases of 'lost' people/calls. There are also cases that you may have been slipped a DB if not all your paperwork came back (ie the NDR check or FAA check).

ATA75 -
From previous posts over the last year it sounds like it used to be a lot easier to pinpoint where in the process something went wrong, but not so much anymore...

PAST
1. It used to be that you had to get a thumbs up from all 3 interviewers to proceed past the interview, and getting your LORs / refs checked meant this probably happened. If not, most got the bad news letter 7-10 days after interview.
2. If those LOR/ref checks went well you usually got the drug test.
3. If both of those happened, and then you got the letter after the board then obviously it was the DB.

PRESENT
1. For the most part from many SWA pilots and interviewers, it sounds like you still need 3 thumbs up from the interview.
2. Nobody really knows what the process is from there as Dumbo specifically has stated to several groups that the drug test and calls mean nothing as everyone is now going to DB.
3. In the last 3 months there are several people who got their LORs called, took the drug test pre DB, and then did not get hired.
4. There are a lot of people, like me, who did not have the drug test pre DB who did get hired.
5. Hence, it seems like everyone is going to DB, and you can't really read too much into the intermediate steps anymore.

Finally, as Chase, the generous passer of wisdom has posted, if you get the letter, call the PD and they will probably give you a general reason or what to work on next time. They will also confirm when you can reapply.

Don't Assume Anything

BlondAmbition,

I don't want to raise false hopes, but maybe your file got delayed to a later decision board. Have you called to ask if you met the most recent decision board? I know it's easier said than done, but stay positive. Best wishes and I hope you hear something soon. Fly safe.

:cool:

Latest resources

Back