• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Uniform Change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess this qualifies me as an official geezer, but the leather jacket won't be my choice.

When I flew open-cockpit airplanes at the beginning of my career, the leather jacket was appropriate. I still fly open-cockpit airplanes in my off time but I switched to a squall type jacket for this a long time ago. It is warmer, lighter, and packs much smaller.

I would feel like a bit of a poseur while wearing a leather flying jacket when operating a jet. Should I bring my helmet and googles to work too?

I have to qualify my remarks as a person whose fashion sense will never land him on the cover of GQ magazine. If it was up to me, I would wear bib overalls over a uniform shirt and tie at work. If wearing the jacket makes the two pilot groups that are currently in the middle of a shotgun wedding feel like they are all one unit, though, that would be a good thing.

If wearing the jacket makes the two pilot groups that are currently in the middle of a shotgun wedding feel like they are all one unit, though, that would be a good thing.

That's what the new ties are for.

Never dug the leather jacket. Count me among those surprised that it is making the uniform standards now.

Below is the reason why:

For Immediate Release
Beijing and Omaha, Nebraska. MidAmerican Energy Holdings, a subsidiary of Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway, has just announced the acquisition of Chinmerica Leather Holdings, the world's largest manufacturer of leather jackets. After a survey of NetJets owners, NetJets management stated "After a survey of our owners, to enhance your overall ownership and flying experience, we have mandated that all of our pilots wear leather jackets in the winter. We have taken this action after the overwhelming percentage of respondents in a large scale survey of 4 NetJets owners, all of whom were substantial shareholders of MidAmerican Energy prior to its acquisition by BH, preferred the leather jackets to the current uniforms."*

*The above is satirical and not an actual press release.

So, Gutshot, do you think the new summer uniform option will include the Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses case worn on the belt?

Hey, lets get uniform hats too! I don't want the standard airline cap; I want the Admiral Benbow officer's hat with full braid and tassles all around.....with a tastefully embroidered company logo on the upturned brim, of course.

The above is satirical and not an actual press release.

Might be fairly close to the truth though.

Sorry, but if I get recalled you won't find one in my closet. The flasher trenchcoat is bad enough, but leather jackets are for motorcycles.

I'd rather look like Easy Rider than Chester the Molester...

Leather Flying Jackets. They were good enough for Wilbur and Orville.

Actually those Patagonia jackets would be much more useful. Weren't available to the Wright Brothers.

Happy to leave the stupid looking airline jacket at home in the closet. :cool:
So you can look like airtrain pilots. :)

Yeah, I'm not a blazer fan either.

I've carried mine in my suitcase per the FOM for years.

I used layers (sweater,molester jacket) to fight the cold. (I've head butted the "leading edge" more than once trying to preflight with the molester jacket on!)

The blazer is like flying in your Class "A" military uniform.

Just because you are dressed comfortably in gear designed for your environment doesn't mean your not a professional.

How you act and perform determines whether you are a professional.

I'm +1 for the leather jacket.

Latest resources

Back