• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New security machine sees everything..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One solution, already mentioned here, is to search those who constitute a reasonable threat. Pilots, seven year olds, aging white haired ladies, and US Senators with steel hips are obviously not our problem passengers.

We need to be willing to focus our efforts in areas that will make sense, and x-raying the passengers will only reduce load factors.

This is madness.

Those bastards, they told me they weren't going to use that picture. I told them it made me look fat. What do you guys think?:D

Jay, I think both you and I are on that Haagen-Dasz diet!

I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to look at those images all day long...

Here's a picture of how cute you will look going through security with a nice six-shooter tucked in your back and pound of narcotic tucked in the bread-basket.
http://www.rapiscan.com/images/Secure_f.jpg
What do you guys think? Ditch the drugs and the arsenal, and then hit the local Jenny Craig? That's what I thought. Oh no wait a second... you now have cancer so who cares about how fat we look??? I'm still undecided on this topic.

Low-Level Radiation

I don't object to the scanners on principle, but I do object to the idea of being subjected to "harmless low-level radiation" on a daily basis. I don't buy the "harmless" part... And this says nothing of the effects on the SCREENERS. Beware radiation, any amount of it...

Husband: Honey does this gun make me look fat?

Wife: It's not the gun that makes you look fat. It's the fat that makes you look fat.

Alright, I'm not gonna pick on this guy anymore.

aero99 said:
IFF Quote :
"We need to stop this madness. I have gotten used to the stuff we have now, but this new system is too much. A deffinite invasion in privacy IMO. "

How is this an invasion of privacy in your opinion? It is an xray machine, not xray nudity glasses. Ever seen an xray of the hips and pelvic area? All you see is bone. Unless, your full of die so they can see other areas. Everyone has been screaming about new security measures that need to take place and now no one wants them or they are not politically correct.

Now that you've seen the pix, I'll let you take that back.

"Also, what of the effect of those "low dose xrays" on those of us who pass through security more than the average person who travels once a week or less? What about those who have medical conditions or crewmembers with pregnancy? "

I would rase this question myself, but I think we half way have to trust that someone has already done testing to see if they are dangerous. I'm not one for sitting back and just believing they are safe or just believing the govnm't, but I'm sure there is documentation to show that the rad levels are acceptable. Lets not get too freaked out about this "new technology" just because it is new in this capacity.

I don't trust the "We're here to help you" FAA to be looking out for my safety any more now than I did before 9/11. Especially when it goes out of their area of expertise. They couldn't care less about the long term effect of additional xrays on crews. That's not their job. They just want one more security level.

"I don't see this catching on. I hope not."

I don't think it matters if it "catches on". Did metal detectors ever "catch on"? NO. It was just policy.

By "catching on" I meant widespread implementation. I hope it is never implemented in its present form. It IS an invasion of privacy.

Would you rather be xray'd or hijacked?

Let's see. To hijack me they'd have to get a weapon through the current metal detectors and "random" searches. Then they'd have to get through the reinforced cockpit door. That's assuming someone even wanted to.
They've done the "airplane thing". Terrorism is all about fear and surprise. It wouldn't have the same effect twice so they will try something else.

Come on IFly, you usually have more of a solution to a problem than just complaining about a system.

Solution: Accurate profiling (not blanket profiling like the present) and computer databases to weed out suspects. "Face identification" technology currently available to the FBI installed at checkpoints. Competent screeners, not the same Argenbrights working for the government. "Smart Card" universal identification systems for crew members. Need I go on?

There is nothing wrong with the present metal detection and bag xray systems. They just need to be used more effectively.
Unfortunately, fear from 9/11 is being used to force in a new system that will take away even more of our privacy and dignity. The crews will be most affected because unlike the passengers, we have no choice but to fly.

We as Americans need to stop basking in fear and isolationism from 9/11. We need to stand up for our rights. It is a classic situation for a nation as a whole to come under martial law when the people cry out to be "secured" by the government. The only way to be 100% secure is to have no rights of privacy.

Yes, I would rather take a minimal risk of being hijacked than give up these rights.

Anyone thought abought one of the real problems concerning smuggling weapons on to aircraft? Inside help! Ya, the same way the hijackers got their box cutters. Someone planted them on the aircraft prior to departure. Hence, the reason the crew has to do security checks! So how are all of these new machines going to stop would be hijackers when none of the rampers, cleaners, or food personnel are not required to go through them?
Additionally, the low dose radiation used in these machines is less that the amount of radiation you would get from going outside in the sun for a couple of mins, but I understand the point. Personally, I could care less as I have nothing to hide but I dont think the machines will fix the problems.

Latest resources

Back