Need GPS advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GoABX

I need to buy a GPS for flying, boating, & driving. Would like suggestions and commentary.

Requirements:

handheld
accepts external antenna (DC-9 windshield blocks signal)
prefer WAAS
<$500

Suggestion

GoABX,

In 1998, I got a Garmin GPS 12XL. It has no database, but has a capability to store 500 waypoints. The only limitation is groundspeed less than 999 knots...haven't been there, yet. I have the same problem with the window heating and I need to use an external antenna. For the same price, I think you can now buy a Garmin GPS III Pilot with updatable database. I maintain my database with a freeware program called EasyGPS and transfer it from my PC to the GPS...much easier than entering points and routes in the GPS itself (http://www.easygps.com/). Fly safe. :cool:

I would consider the Garmin 195 if I were you, its a little more than what your budgeting for, but you have many of the same things that I was looking for as well and it has worked well for me.

Woody

yea get a 195

Yes if you get a Garmin 195 you will probably be very happy with it. The 195 has a built-in internal antenna and also has the external so you can set it up on the "dash".
The 195 will work in the -9 very well.

You might check with capt. Key he uses a cheaper Garmin sometimes and it seems to work for him.
(cant remember the model number)

Latest resources

Back