Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thx

It looks as though I have stumbled onto a wealth of knowledge as well as a good message board. Thanks for your honest and straightforward opinions. You have given me a lot to think about.

I do want to fly more then anything, and I have made it my new years resolution to be well on my way to becoming a pilot by the end of this year.

Thank you all,
Macele

I just want to state that I really do not disagree with the on campus argument. If he had been 21, I probably would not have taken the same view I did.

However, lets say it takes a bit more than 4 years. That would put this individual at 30 with not appreciably more hours or expertise to do what his objective is.

The approach I suggested would likely make him a turbo prop pilot with 1500 turbine multi hours in an airline situation as he crossed 30.

There are a ton of other considerations, but this was the short version and why I went this way.

Does location make a difference?

My old flight instructor told me that I was in a good place to learn to fly because I lived in north Texas. He said that Texas had more airplanes and more pilots per capita than anywhere, excluding Alaska. Is that true or are there better aviation hot spots? Also with the increase in security at large airports, I have heard that many companies are going to start relaying more heavily on their own aviation programs. What do you think that is going to do to the piloting profession? Do you think that larger numbers of smaller aircraft is going to translate into the need for a larger pilot workforce in the United States? Or do you think that is all just a bunch of main stream media rhetoric?

Thanks again!
Macele

maybe

There is no question that Texas is a very active business aircraft area.

As to your other questions:

I expect that business aircraft will grow as more companies want the security, and time saving afforded by having access to their own equipment.

One thing that you need to sort of figure in. A commercial airliner may require 8 crews on average. Fractionals may require 5 crews per plane. A corporate aircraft may equal one. Therefore the mix in the big picture from a pilot perspective makes a difference.

The above are guestimates and examples only.

North Texas

North Texas is a GREAT place to learn how to fly. I learned to fly in Oklahoma City, not far away, so, I believe, I know. You'll experience a wide variety of weather, as you know, and learn to deal with it. You'll have days where you can fly your 180-hp wonder in safe IMC. You'll learn to land in crosswinds. You'll get great high-density airspace experience. You can fly up to OKC and practice shooting its plethora of approaches. You probably can do much of the same in DFW, at least at Love and Addison. Maybe you can get PARs at Altus and Sheppard; it's been too many years and I don't know if you can now. In short, you have the opportunity for a great training experience.

As far as the job market goes, I'll come right to the point. Despite the publicity you might hear, most of it is propaganda. There are really not that many pilot jobs to be had and there are tons of qualified pilots seeking them. That doesn't mean that you won't be hired. Just realize there is plenty of competition and be loaded for bear to face it.

Lots of luck with your plans.

Last edited:
Well i know of some colleges that do offer aviation degrees. SWT offers that in their ROTC program if i am not mistaking, and so does Texas State Technical College in WACO, and also, San Jacinto Communtiy College down in Houston. Those are really the only ones i know of, and since you are in N.T. I would look into Spartan.

Macele,

Happy Birthday!

One option for you if you live in Dallas county is Mountain View Community College. They have a good aviation program with pretty flexible hours. I did the associate thing with them at night while working and flying during the day and you can save a ton of money by taking the hours you get there and then transfering to some place to finish your 4 year degree. I second what Bobbysamd and enigma have said about Letourneau and they will accept the bulk of the hours you would get at Mountain View.

When I was instructing at Arlington, we use to fly down to Waco for practice approaches. They have a lot of good approaches and seem to enjoy working with instructors and students.

If flying is what you want to do then go for it. Dedicate yourself to your goal and stay focused for the next few years and you'll be in a great position for a reagional or jet cargo, then onward and upward from there!

I started flying at age 35 and though it was a long road switching carreers (work a week, fly an hour), i'ts a decision I have never regretted .

Good Luck........O2.

I got my associates at Mountain View in Dallas. I quit my job and went full time. It's hard but worth it. I'm currently doing the ERAU online thing. I instructed for two years and drove Falcons for Cherry Air for a couple of years. I hate to say it but the four year degree makes a difference. You have to be dedicated to do the online thing( funny thing is I'm not, but I'm doing it).
Good luck
FD
P.S. Hey o2hit

Latest resources

Back