• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need advice from fellow professionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No captain can argue against safety, but I've noticed that newer EAGLE F/O's in San juan are way too quick complain; like recently a guy seriously bitching to approach that he was entering IMC along with another aircraft that was supposed to stay VMC - the way he said it ("Ï've got a problem") approach thought he had a real emergency. The controller had everything under control.

I once had an F/O in my Trislander that was second guessing everything - nobody wants a spy in the cockpit.

Unsafe (?) Captain

I like the idea of sending in a NASA report(s). Send them in by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep copies. Follow your company hierarchy, beginning with the Captain in question. Maybe he/she will get the message. Then, go up the ladder. If it were me, I wouldn't discuss this Captain with my peers, i.e. other FO's. Perhaps some of them have had similar experiences. On the other hand, you don't know if some might be buds with this Captain and say something to him/her.

I do see this as a matter of damaging a career, but the question you must reflect upon is whose career will be more damaged and whose career matters most. Don't shoot from the hip.

Hope this helps a little.

Well, everybody is out to tar and feather! I think that something should be done, but it is important to look at all the possibilites. I am in no way saying you should keep your mouth shut but...

I know two pilots who have raised the red flag and it bit them in the ass. It turns out that the pilots they turned in, one had friends in the union, the other in mgt. One fellow was black balled by the union and treated as a scab for going to managment to complane. Word spread and he got hate mail in his box and all the capt'ns that he flew with gave him Poo. The other was just fired for bull reasons by managment. Be carfull. in this time of cutbacks and furlows. Managment is looking to loose a few pilots anyway.

Again, Don't read this wrong, SAFETY FIRST, Just rember that for every action there is a re-action. and is not always a pat on the back!

ALOHA

chperplt,

Do the NASA report if it makes you feel more comfortable but definitely talk with you chief pilot about it. I was in the same position once and when I spoke to my chief pilot, he wasn't at all surprised. They knew he was a problem and they handled it in a professional manner. If you aren't the type of person that makes it a point to complain about every little problem, I can't imagine they won't take action. Good luck. Keep in mind SAFETY FIRST.

R.F.

BTW -- I know its difficult to rat on a fellow pilot but imagine how you would feel if someone got hurt because this guy is a hot dog.

You might want to keep that NASA report handy for something a little more useful. I was told by a POI that you only get to turn in one per year. The FAA takes these reports pretty seriously and if they see a pattern they jump on it. After all, they have some of the best statistics you can come up with in order to explain their existence to the government. We had a captain who was too green to be in the left seat of the Metro and it took two incidents to get him out of that position. How knew is he to the left seat?

NASA forms...um, send them to NASA!

You can file as many NASA reports as you want, file one a leg if you like. The FAA will never know that you have filed a NASA form unless they try to violate you for an infraction. Then, if you have filed a NASA form, you can be given some protection as long as the violation did not result in an accident, was not intentional, and was not a criminal act. You can only use one NASA form per year to get out of an FAA violation. So your POI was technically correct. You should never send a NASA form to your POI or the FSDO. That is a good way to ask for a violation. You send them to NASA, per the directions on the form.

Bluto is correct, you can file as many as you like. However, i belive you can only use one every FIVE years to help you with a problem. I once used one to report on a overzealous FAA inspector, and his boss called us to apologise a few weeks after I sent it in. They do read those things.

As far as the substandard captain goes, I would make sure you aren't the first person to complain about him. If he really is that bad, they should have a file on him, and that will make you look more credible. Otherwise, it may be a you against him thing, and that is never good. Hope it works out for you.

[I would make sure you aren't the first person to complain about him. If he really is that bad, they should have a file on him, and that will make you look more credible. Otherwise, it may be a you against him thing, and that is never good. Hope it works out for you. [/B][/QUOTE]

skydiverdriver,

I agree with many of your post but I differ on this one. It really shouldn't matter if this captain has been turned in by others or not. Chperplt may be the first to complain in a long string of complainers.

Like I said, keep safety first and let your own credibility be the weight behind your complaint. Maybe you are the only pilot with the balls (or smarts) to show concern. This should be based on what YOU have seen, not what others have. Hold your ground and talk to your chief.

R.F.

Last edited:
As a captain once told me and now I pass it on ---

Wait till you get your captain's bars and have someone second guess your decisions and flying skills.

Will you be polite and gracious in light of this criticism?

People in glass houses (or cockpits) should never throw stones.

If I was wrong, I would certainly hope so. I would hope that if I flew dangerously, my FO's would have the guts to confront me about it. My career, my life, and the lives of my crew and passengers are far more important than my ego. Now, if I felt that I had been flying safely, this might prove a valuable teaching/learning experience for my FO. If we disagree I, as the captain, should feel comfortable explaining my actions to the chief pilot in a meeting with him/her and the FO (and a Union rep, if you are smart.) Or at the very least, explain my actions to the professional standards committee. This is a basic CRM question.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back