NDB/ADF holding question???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BRlinepilot

Question for you NDB know hows, what does this mean when given this holding instruction: hold on the 335 bearing from the station? Is this the same as holding on the 335 radial? OR is it the 155 radial. I know there is no such thing as a radial off of a NDB, I think. What if it's the 335 bearing to the station? SOMEONE, please help? Thanks in advance!

If you get a NDB holding clearance and you receive a heading, it is always going to be the inbound heading, or your bearing to the station. In your example ATC would say, "Hold NW 335 inbound, EFC _____" That's usually how you are going to get it. I hope this helps.

C-ya

I'm not clear still..... If the clearance is "hold 335 bearing FROM the station", is this still the inbound course? I'm confused about the "FROM" portion.

According to FAA Order 7110.65 (the manual used to prescribe ATC procedures):

"d. Nondirectional beacons. State the course to or the bearing from the radio beacon, omitting the word "degree," followed by the words "course to" or "bearing from," the name of the radio beacon, and the words "radio beacon."

EXAMPLE-
"Three Four Zero bearing from Randolph Radio Beacon." "

So if you get a clearance to hold on the 335 bearing from XYZ radio beacon, you would hold NW of the NDB using 155 as the inbound course. You would do the same if your hold clearance was for the 155 course to XYZ radio beacon.

If you look at published holds on Missed approaches, usually they always tell you the inbound course for an NDB hold.

It sounds as though Andy is right about verbal holding clearances and I better start filling out some NASA forms!

C-ya.

For assigning a bearing on a non-directional beacon, a bearing is the same as a radial. As Andy pointed out, the 360 bearing lies north of the beacon, the 180 radial lies south. If you're holding on a bearing, you're holding on the bearing that comes from the station. Your hold will be made to the station, so you'll use the reciprocal of the bearing number for your inbound leg.

Avbug,

You wrote "a bearing is the same as a radial" which is not completely accurate. A radial is always away from the station. A bearing may be either to or from the station, and it must be stated which. (see controller's handbook excerpt above) I'm sure you're aware of this, but the way your post is worded could be misleading to someone who hasn't read the whole thread.

regards

If the contolller is using correct procedure, he/she will give a "course to" or "bearing from" a radio beacon and not a "bearing to" a radio beacon.

Andy,

You're right, maybe I need to read a little more carefully. The last time this question came up, I searched through every aviation reference I could lay my hands on. What I found was that the word "bearing" is used diffently by differnent sources. Your point is well taken that the controllers handbook specified courses to, and bearings from. As a practical matter, make sure you hear "to" or "from" the NDB in your clearence. If there's any question, request clarification.

regards

Latest resources

Back