• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy Primary IP's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did a year at ERAU and promptly realized that going to college in Daytona Beach was going to kill me. So I went up to Jax Univ and got an NROTC scholarship.
Got aviation and went to primary with about 60 hours/private, 3 years old. Prior flight time helps but everybody catches up in a couple of months and the edge is gone. I wouldn't highlight myself by asking for an accelerated program, let them decide that. You'll learn that Murphy was an aviator and the day you get the accelerated program is the day you goon something up.
Don't lie about it, don't brag about it and forget every habit pattern you had flying civilian. The one time you say "well, this is how I did it in blah blah blah" is the day you get squashed. Hard.
I instructed Hornets for 3 years and the biggest advice I can give you is this: "What were you thinking/why did you do that?" are 99.9% of the time rhetorical questions... When I was a student the answer was "I don't know sir, I f*cked up, it won't happen again...".

It seems like today the first response is to pull out the excuse matrix...everything else was AFU, not you. Wrong answer. Even if it wasn't you say it was and let us correct you.
IP's talk and you get a reputation as a student pretty quickly. Don't blow your first impressions.

And lastly, have a good bar act. Don't sit inside every night studying or you'll go crazy. Grab a beer...you'll bump into some IP's and they usually will buy you a beer and extoll all the secrets of Naval Aviation. I learned most of my experience in a bar or the club listening to the old salty guys telling me what not to do or how to do it right. And I've found myself, sadly, as that crusty aviator talking to my own students telling them of my own travels.

It's a great trip. Don't spot the deck and fly the ball all the way to touchdown...

SNA's to be,
I can tell from all the posts that all of you have the right attitude! As I look back, some of my best times were in flight school. Don't be in such a hurray to get through. Yeah I know, I was the same way. But why be in a hurray to leave the most white beaches and sexy women in thongs who want to meet you. Work hard and play hard. It is the Marine Corps way (Navy way too for the most part. Ha! Ha!). Anyway, enjoy it! I wish I could go do it all over.
Sammy

Pat,

Congratulations!! Yup, I still remember how I felt when I got my phone call. I ran up and down my Dorm Floor screaming and hitting every door (they called security on me, but they never got me). What’s your OCS start date? Crazy, we’ll probably run into each other at the Flight Line down in Whitting Field. Once again, congratulations.

FLY NAVY

Congartualtions Patmack18. Best wishes and good luck to you and Papyco.

I'll drink a couple of cold ones in your honor tonight.

Fly Navy!

How to survive

Here's all the insight you need on how to survive OCS:
I went through Marine OCS, but its much the same. My Officer Selection Officer said, "You should be able to stand on your head for 10 weeks if you need to to get those wings." It's all a head game. Don't take anything personally. Just play the game. Every time you get discouraged, just remember your goal and never, EVER give up or allow yourself to even think about it. Go forth with that mindset and it is all but over. Also, the quickest way out of OCS (at least Marine OCS, but I'm sure Navy is the same) is to be an honor violator. I don't care if you kill your instructor, you have a much better chance of staying at OCS if you tell the truth than if you lie about it. I saw several guys get booted for lying about something that, had they fessed up, would have only been a minor trip up. Remember your goal and don't allow anything to stand in your way.

I congratulate you on your selection. Know that it isn't always the recruiting poster job, but I wouldn't change a thing for the world. Things are very screwed up in the military in many ways, but I am very grateful to have been afforded the opportunity to do the things I've done and to be a part of something greater than yourself. The govt can screw up the military all they want, but they can never take the pride and comraderie away from military members. I wish you the best and hope to see you out in the fleet in the not too distant future.

Pat

Hey PAT,

Congrats on Flight school!, I am supposed to start API sometime mid-end summer. Still waiting on my orders. You said you know places to go in P-cola? Im rotc and also have prior time (700 hour CFII) Anyway, let me know. My email is [email protected]

Seeya,
Skywiz

Latest resources

Back