Navy IST to AF

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DohShooter,

Someone with shooter orders probably isn't done with their commitment. Also, I don't think everyone should go to the boat. Just don't go out of your way to get out of it. I have served my time. I'm not seeking to get out of anything. I have served my time...done the things the Navy has asked me to do. There is a big difference. BTW, you may have a better insight on matters concerning Naval Aviators, but this really doesn't have anything to do with any special knowledge that you have and I don't. That comment kind of smelled like elitism.

Hugh,

Fellow A-Dub! I wasn't referring to you. What platform did you fly in? I prefer TQ I over the duece. Happy-A-Go-Go is always enjoyable, but SuperBaby is unbelievable.

All concerned,

I really wasn't trying to flame anyone. I just thought it was a bit extreme to change services to avoid orders that thousands of sailors execute everyday. This thread has just reinforced my views that the VP community isn't for everyone......

Gentlemen, all of you have my best wishes in whatever endeavours you seek out!

Cheers,

Chunk

The Boat

Have you thought about getting out and going into the reserves, then going for a full time TAR position? or getting out and applying for a USAFR or ANG jobs. They are advertizing in the magiznies looking for C-130 pilots. One of our ex-USMC H-53 pilots, now a DA-20 Captain at USa Jet, just got picked up for a USARF C-130 unit at Selfirdge, so there are reserve flying jobs out there. investigate your options. As a side I am kinda glad I did my boat tour, although I don't think I would do it again, the time I was there was interesting. I was in CIC, and qualed as OOD on CVN-65. I thought driving the boat was neat, learning about nuc power plants. However in 1976 there were no flying jobs for aviatiors in Uncle Sam's boat club, so I bailed in 1977 and became an unemployed airline pilot many times during my civilian career.

If your don't mind being on the road 6 months out of the year (2 months at a shot), you might enjoy life as a U-2 pilot. You'll be wearing a space suit to work. We've had a few Navy guys join our ranks in the past couple of years. You'll be flying solo on every U-2 sortie after checkout and you get to fly the T-38 as a companion trainer when your not on the road. Plus, life as an Air Force type ain't bad. We're always looking for pilots, but I'll admit with 9/11, we've had several former guys asking to come back. We still have holes to fill, but if you're really interested, you better act fast. Drop me a PM if you're interested. I'll get you in touch with the right people.

Latest resources

Back