• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi-engine training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Illini's situation is basically the same as mine. The Duchess is $140 an hour. You need 50 hours in type and a regular 1-2 hour checkout, or in lieu of that, 20 hours of dual from the school. I got my rating there, and basically bought the rest of the time up to 20 hours. The other requirements are 300TT and an Instrument rating.

There's also a Baron 58 for rent too, but then you're looking at 50 hours in type with 1000TT and 350 multi. No way around it. So even if I had the 1000 and 350 requirement, which I don't, I'd have to spend over $13K to get that 50 hours (at $265 per hour w/MEI). Ouch! Lots more plane than a Duchess, though.

Oh well, when you're building time, I guess you're not looking to get anywhere fast anyway. :)

Geigo

How did it go? The interview that is.

ILLINI

Very interesting. $160/hour for a twin really isn't out of line at all.

Why rent the Baron when its mins could just about get you hired at a commuter? :)

Just the same, I know from my experience the places who will rent multis altogether, much less solo, are still few and far between. And, also, you still have to build up the time. Unfortunately, a five-hour multi from Sheble's won't cut it for insurance purposes.

An observation on the above. At schools, MEIs with only a few hours of multi are turned loose with students who have less, or even more time, than the instructors! Compare that with trying to rent a multi and you'll see the irony.

Have a good one and good luck in building multi time.

Last edited:
The Travelair place has an ad in the back of at least Flying magazine, maybe others. A guy I instruct with went there over Christmas. Got his Multi Comm in something like 4 hour total--including the checkride. He did have some multi logged before he went, but not much--and it was a year since he last flew a twin. Anyway, if you do the math, the ticket cost him something like $250 /hour. Pretty steep, but he got the ticket and it was quick.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I think i am going to skip the Dallas thing and do it here in the Dutchess. I have been told by a few people that the examniner in Dallas likes to bust you on your first $300 ride, just so you have to pay again. Sounds kinda fishy to me, plus i would like to get the rating with more than 4 hrs. Anyway, i appreciate the help.

Does the thought of a 4 hour Multi-Comm (and I'm assuming instrument) pilot scare anyone besides me?

I dunno about you guys, but I didn't start feeling at home in the Duchess until at least 10 hours. I know there's a wide range of student skill out there, but crap - 4 hours doesn't seem like a lot of time.

I guess the insurance companies agree with me.

Low multi training time

I agree, but just a comment. I had an instructor friend at Riddle who did not have his multi. Of course, he wanted into Riddle's gold mine of multi time. So, he went to Sheble's one weekend and came home with his multi. He might have flown four hours max in their Duchess, including checkride. It was a means to an end and very smart, because Riddle upgraded him to MEI on its nickel. So, he got the additional multi training he needed and time in the airplane without having to pay for it. He had to sign a training contract.

Another old aviation adage: Get your ratings on the other guy's nickel.

Oh I agree completely Bobby. If I were in your buddy's position, I would have done exactly the same thing. It wasn't my intent to attack anyone who gets their ticket via one of these schools - I was just looking of my situation and thinking, "Man, at 4 hours, I was just finishing my VFR maneuvers and single engine pattern work, let alone all the IFR work." =)

Amazing. And I'd think a Travel Air is more airplane than a Duchess, at least in the sense that it's quite a bit older.

Traveler

Sure, it's more airplane. I had a student who had one of his own, although he flew the Riddle Seminoles for his flight courses.

clyde fredrickson is the instructor and don scott is the examiner. I got my multi and my MEI there. great school. Reality check here, you arent going to build multi time renting twins. it isnt going to happen at 140-250$ per hour.. So just get the rating as cheaply as possible then build it by instructing or riding along with others.
if you fail the ride you get an hour in the travelair again for free, plus the checkride is half for the retake, which makes it out to be 125$. they want you to pass, i had a guy when i did my mei he had 200tt and ZERO multi. passed 1st try. the hampton inn gives you a 40$ room, team up with another guy and you split the room and each get 100$ off the rating. get the rating for the 1000$, dont fall into the trap of 190$ multi time and a hungry instructor who's favorite line is "one more flight and I'll sign you off". BTW i taught two guys in our b55 baron and they got their ratings in less than 5 hours each. it can be done..

Latest resources

Back