Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bart

Decader
Finally, after 4 months, have been hired to fly an MU-2 for a 135 operation. It is the Marquise model.

What has been your experience with this plane? I am going to Smyrna, TN for my training in two weeks and want some perspective on it.

I have been instructing with some part 91 king air, turbo commander and DHC-6 on the side.

If you don't get much response here, go check out the rec.aviation.piloting and rec.aviation.owning newsgroups, and you'll find a frequent poster there named Mike Rapoport. He's a private MU-2 owner and could tell you all about it.

All I know about the plane is how loud is is on the ground!

Never flown one personally, but have a friend who has. His favorite plane in the entire world, I think.

Very impressive load carrying ability, short/unimproved runway capability, efficient, ugly, etc. Out perform a kingair in *most* any departmant.

A little bit of a handfull to fly. That is, the MU2 doesn't fly itself, you have to work for it. (Even the Autopilot is never gets to relax)

Thats about all I know.

Have fun,
D

MU-2

Quite a bit of lore about the MU-2.

I recall how there were a number of accidents when they first came out. The plane is hot and slick - handles more jetlike than proplike - and pilots who were not used to jets would get into trouble.

I'm reaching into the recesses of my memory, but doesn't the airplane have full-span flaps and spoilers? I may be wrong about that.

There were some ADs issued for the MU-2 - once again, sorry, can't remember specfics.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I thought MU-2s were cool - maybe ahead of their time in a lot of ways.

Have fun with your training.

To me, the airplane was more out to kill you than anything else...it was the Japanese's way of getting even with us for Hiroshima. What other airplanes do you have to push the nose over right after takeoff?? Every landing is more or less a controlled crash...I would think that if you excelled at being an MU-2 driver...you should be able to wear atlest 16 stripes instead of 4 on each shoulder. The cool thing is that little baby can scoot along in the flight levels and get you to where you are going in a hurry! I guess I didn't have enough time in the airplane to feel like I wasn't going to kill myself everytime I buckled myself in...

Have fun with your new toy!!!

SeaBass

MU-2

I've got a few hudred hours in the MU-2. I heard a figure that one in every three MU-2's ever built, have had an accident. I'm not telling you this to scare you but to make sure your at your best every time you get into the machine. Make sure when you first go up, it is w/ an experienced MU-2 pilot. Do lots of slow flight maneuvers and single engine work. Keep an eye on the ball and use those rudder peddals. Adjust your rudder trim first/Pitch trim second. It is a good and safe plane for the properly trained pilot. Have fun!

cj610

If you figure out how to get soft landings every time(in the MU-2), write back and tell me your secret.

Well first off, your training your going to get at Reese Howell's ground school is the best. This is all this guy does. I did the ground school but not in TN. He came to OK to give it to us. As for the airplane, watch yourself. You will learn real quick that the key to this airplane is not to get it slow. I managed well over 1000 hours in this thing (J,L,N,Marquise) flying checks in this beast and had a few incidents (Losing prop over Texes) to name a few. This airplane requires alot of respect. However, it was the most fun I ever had in my life. It's fast, noisy, stinks and girls thought it was sexy. Rudder is the key with single engine. If you do tank one of takeoff, its weird but using the spoilorons to correct is a big No No. Don't even touch the yoke. Reach down and hold the spoiler trim down for 3 seconds, then 5 turns of the rudder wheel and these both should be accomplished in 7 seconds. Reese calls it the .357 rule and it's what will save your arse. The gear cycles very slow and with the doors opening and all that drag, that's what gets people in trouble if they are slow. Pick up as much speed as you can on takeoff. If you lose one and your heavy, pull the other one back and hope for this best.
Look, Its a great airplane and you will have a blast, but get some serious training and hours under your belt before this company your flying for cuts you loose. It's built like a brick ^$%# house, and flys like a truck so don't get nervous when you see the wings flexing like crazy with 90 gals in each tip. Hopefully this company your going into has tip tank dumps in case of a engine failure. If not, advise them to get them.
Congrats on your job man. It's the best fun you will have.
Private message me if you have any specific questions. Reese is a good guy and one hell of a stick in this thing. You will learn alot and get scared alot. LOL.

Have fun.

MU2

Well.....it's not the monster everyone thinks it is. You will have no problems in the plane IF you.....
1) Pay attention to the instructor regarding the aerodynamics of the plane(they ain't like anything else you've flown before or will ever fly again)
2)FLY IT BY THE NUMBERS!!!! There isn't much room for error in that beast.
I used to fly a J model with a guy named Ralph Sark who was the only person to ever survive a runaway trim in a mu2. He had over 6000 hrs. in one(which should qualify him for some sort of Presidential recognition). The 2 most important things he told me about the airplane is what I just told you....with the emphasis being on #2! Good luck!!

i've never flown an mu-2, but i have a friend who has lot's of time in one. ....he told me that if you ever wanted to own one, just by a large plot of land and sooner or later one would fall into it! :D -sr.

Hey 328dude,

Are you the guy that lost a blade over Texas and had to put her down in Corsicana. If you are, great job.

Latest resources

Back