• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Michigan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't know of any good places in MI, but I can tell you to avoid the Northwest Soaring Club in Frankfort and avoid Cadillac Soaring in Cadillac.
I suggest you take a trip to AZ or NM and do some real soaring.
Just my .02 cents.

I suggest you take a trip to AZ or NM and do some real soaring.
Just my .02 cents.
Now THERE's a good way to kill someone's interest...tell them it's no good unless they go 1000 miles away :(

The vast majority of the soaring world has loads of fun with soaring conditions no better than MI offers, and in a lot of cases, substantially worse. For that matter, you need to pick your days in AZ too...the days I was there sucked.

I'd take Tony's advice, and check out the sites listed on the SSA where to fly pages. If more than one is in range, try everywhere within reason. Soaring operations are like any flight school/club...they all have a different personality, and some fit better than others.

Fly safe!

David

Those are sound words of advice. I should have stated that my experiences with the operators I mentioned were less than enjoyable for many reasons. Lilbirny21 or anyone else may have a completely different experience, in fact I hope they do! Soaring is a blast and offers some inexpensive and challenging time in the air.

I know they do a lot of soaring at Ionia (Y70), try Benz Aviation. I haven't done anything there, but have heard good things. There may also be something in Tecumseh, but I can't remember.

I would go to Benz in Ionia. I used to worked with both of the guys that run that place. They are great guys. They have been gliding for a long time. Ask for Tony or Matt.

I had a freind that flew at the Sand Hill Soaring Club http://www.sandhillsoaring.org/. He REALLY enjoyed it, I flew there a couple times too, seen like a really great bunch of guys. I'm actually thinking of joining this spring and getting my glider rating, and maybe add it to my CFI too. It's west of Detroit in Gregory.

Wow, I'm impressed at the number of Michigan glider pilots here! I'll throw in my recommendation for Adrian Soaring Club for anyone looking to soar or learn the sport. It's really a great place and even though I just joined this year I've been very pleased and impressed with the club's culture and safety orientation.

Don't know of any good places in MI, but I can tell you to avoid the Northwest Soaring Club in Frankfort...

Why?

I'm not connected to them in any way, just wondering. The family goes to Frankfort once a year for a week or two and we always see their planes up in the air.

Latest resources

Back