• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
efiscompmon said:
DISCLAIMER---I KNOW NOTHING--JUST TALKING OUT LOUD

(that should keep the namecalling down)

Mainline has coveted those a/c from day 1. There were rumors pre-9/11 of stripping out f/c and flying 85 coach seats, which would have to be done by mainline.

A mainline CA would never fly that airplane for $63.00 and hour. Or even $100.00 an hour. That is the top pay scale we are currently in negotiations for.

I have been here at Mesaba since March 01, 2yr and 8 months and that has me sitting about 800 on our 850 pilot seniorty list, I have never been off reserve never had more than the min 10 days off never made more than my 75 hour garuntee.

I have as much to gain as anyone from us signing a contract now.

That said, I stand firm along with every Mesaba pilot that I have talked to in saying that we would rather have 400 pilots flying a Saab fleat working under a fair new contract than all 850 pilots working under a sub par "Mesa like contract"

We won't give in to our own managment.

Last edited:
Maybe a Northwest pilot can chime in here. I remember hearing sometime back that there's a clause in the NWA contract that basically says the Avro fleet will only be flown by Mesaba Airlines. Assuming thats true and the NWA pilots wouldn't sell us down river (I don't think they would), do you really think NWA management is willing to fork over all the money required to break those leases prematurely? Just to try and scare us into signing a Big Sky like contract?

My gut feeling is they will take away the initial 5 they're talking about just to show us how serious they are and try to stir us into a panick. Then if we still aren't caving there will be an announcement about how they are further analyzing the "cost structure" of the remaining Avro fleet. After still no caving in (boy those Mesaba pilots are really standing strong!) they take another one or two and so on and so on. Finally after we get the contract we are fighting for ratified, NWA will suddenly come to the realization that those Avros really do make us a nice little profit after all and start bringing them back on line. Hey, if they're willing to go to extremes then so am I!!!!! Fair contract or burn the place down !

Notwithstanding Section 1 C.9.a., Section 1 C.9.b. and Section 1 C.9.c. above the NW code designator may be used on up to 36 AVRO-85 aircraft at Mesaba Airlines, so long as such aircraft are configured for less than 70 passenger seats. The Company may add one Regional Jet for each AVRO-85 aircraft which is permanently removed from service at Mesaba, or which is not delivered to Mesaba, without regard to the numerical limits set forth in Section 1 C.9.c. above.

But any RJ added must adhere to the definition in the contract....

Which means 44/50 seater....

othello said:
I have been here at Mesaba since March 01 and that has me sitting about 800 on our 850 pilot seniorty list, I have never been off reserve never had more than the min 10 days off never made more than my 75 hour garuntee.

That sucks! I thought you were a little more senior than that.

NW has announced it is cutting 30% of the departures out of MEM... Is that a contract bargaining tool also? No, it's the difference between being in the the red or the black. It's business, and making money is the bottom line. If the bean counters say a CRJ is cheaper than a ARJ, then so be it (from the mngmnt perspective).

Also, I'm not sure: "Bring it on on!" is a great rallying cry. I believe that was something originally said by George Custer, or was it Richard Nixon?

Just my opinion,but...

1. The AVRO's wouldn't be profitable without the sweet deal Bae gave NWA initially when the AVRO's were purchased. So without an extension of that (BAe is in bankruptcy) the AVRO's will be gone. No matter what the Mesaba pilots do.

2. The flying will be picked up by a combination of the underutilized DC9's and the additional CRJ's. People were wondering what all those RJ's would be flying, heres the answer. And without the AVRO's, NWA can get a one for one 50 seater instead of the 44 seaters as replacements.

3. NWA has an outclause that says they can terminate the AVRO leases if notification is given before OCT now DEC.

It looks like XJ is going to get some of those CRJs after all.

mesaba2425 said:
It looks like XJ is going to get some of those CRJs after all.

How do ya' figure that?! If this was the plan all along, why would NWA go through the trouble of allocating the rest of the RJ's to PCL, if thier chief intent was to give some to Mesaba after ditching the Avros?

Do tell.....

:eek: :rolleyes:

NW has 175 options. I bet they exercise some, if not all, of them.

Latest resources

Back