• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa #1 Regional for Third Consecutive Year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well considering the contracted ground handling in PHX, there is a good place to start on the performance of SkyWest in PHX

WHAAAAAAAAT????? Mesa uses the same ground handling, so I don't follow you there. Plus "controllable D0" and "controllable completion" figures take station delays out of the equation. Many of the outstations have been expressing their frustrations about Skywest performance. One manager yesterday said he wished Mesa would do all of their flights because his station was dealing with frequent delays and cancellations on Skywest flights. He also had some other complaints that I wont relay here. Until recently I figured most of what I was hearing was rhetoric until I saw some numbers for myself and started having station personel start asking a bunch of questions and expressing frustration.

That said, I recently had to deadhead on a Skywest flight out of PHX and thought the crew did a really nice job and (this time) was friendly and professional. I certainly don't wish them out of a job or anything... but at the same time, I would personally not care to be there myself. I have nothing against 90% of their crews... its that other 10% that gives the group a bad reputation.

WHAAAAAAAAT????? Mesa uses the same ground handling, so I don't follow you there. Plus "controllable D0" and "controllable completion" figures take station delays out of the equation. Many of the outstations have been expressing their frustrations about Skywest performance. One manager yesterday said he wished Mesa would do all of their flights because his station was dealing with frequent delays and cancellations on Skywest flights. He also had some other complaints that I wont relay here. Until recently I figured most of what I was hearing was rhetoric until I saw some numbers for myself and started having station personel start asking a bunch of questions and expressing frustration.

That said, I recently had to deadhead on a Skywest flight out of PHX and thought the crew did a really nice job and (this time) was friendly and professional. I certainly don't wish them out of a job or anything... but at the same time, I would personally not care to be there myself. I have nothing against 90% of their crews... its that other 10% that gives the group a bad reputation.

SkyWest - APRIL 2013 - US Airways Express Month End Performance

D0 - 86.60%, A14 - 91.80%, CF - 99.20%

Looks like we're nailing it, if you ask me.

Why is Mesa's completion factor for United so terrible though? 98.77% for the month of April? And SkyWest was 99.21%. What happened? Apples and Oranges, right?

Why is Mesa's completion factor for United so terrible though? 98.77% for the month of April? And SkyWest was 99.21%. What happened? Apples and Oranges, right?

Just happen to be in PHX the other day and heard announcements for FLG passengers to be shuttled to their destination. This was the middle of the day with perfect weather. I guess too many broken 200's that day. I suppose the completion factor that day was not so good. :confused:

Same old song and dance. It is easy to maintain ontime departures when the majority of your connecting flights are through PHX and CLT. Even easier to avoid pax compliants and bag mishandeling when those can be pushed off on the main line partner.

Those 175s will only help fatten up the sell price Mesa's owners want for it.

If this were true, then why doesn't Sky West outperform Mesa in PHX on a apples to apples basis?

Also, may be interesting to note that the majority of Mesa's flights are not out of PHZ. 80% of all Mesa's departures are out of CLT, ORD, IAD, and ATL? Four of the worst airports in the country.

Humm, apples to apples? More like Apples to apple cores when you consider all YV operates are 900s with first class and better economics vs. the old 50 seat dogs OO operates. Pretty easy to see what planes would get preferintal treatment.

Kind of hard to say 80% of the departures are out of ORD and IAD when only 20 planes fly for UAX. CLT isn't that big of a deal, except when ATC lines every Airways plane up for departure off one runway. ATL? Other than a few token flights in there, YV doesn't have much of a presence.

In regards to the USX numbers you posted... YV's completion factor is 99.72 with a D0 88.61. So what is your point?

Not sure about the UAL numbers... I haven't seen them myself and I'm not in that system. But I am aware of the overall numbers (company wide) and they tell a different story. Your numbers have been erroneous (as measured by DOT numbers that are available to the public in general) so I'm not going to concern myself with it too much.

Just came back from PSP today. Skywest flight delayed since 8am, finally cancelled at 11am. This is the second time in three days we loaded a bunch of SKW passengers because of a MX CXL (the other was a Delta out of FAT). Both times the stations expressed their frustrations that this was happening too frequently. You have access to the info, go ahead and check my statement.

EVERYONE has delays and cancellations, so I'm not picking on Skywest... Mesa is no different, I know. Don't fool yourself into thinking Skywest is any different either.

By the way, annual stats from the DOT stats are out for 2012. Feel free to have a look.

Last edited:
PHX conract ground handling

Well considering the contracted ground handling in PHX, there is a good place to start on the performance of SkyWest in PHX

You apparently missed the point. on an "apples to Apples" basis out of PHX, Mesa consistently outperforms Sky West by a large margin. Both carriers use the exact same ground handlers....

Hmmmmmm?

And why didn't you post Mesa's Airways numbers?

Mesa airways.

CCF - 99.61. Beats SKY WEST by two clubs.
Your D0 and A 14 numbers for Sky West are BS.

My regional is better than your regional?

What's next? My dad can beat up your dad?

Anyone flying for a regional should be looking to get out, not boasting about where they are.

Latest resources

Back